Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 8, 2011   #1
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Default Olive Hill Germination revisited.

Hi All,

Some may recall I planted Olive Hill after I was sent a pack by a friend which came from the Sample Seed Shop.Last year I got 0 germination.I found this odd knowing Remy's reputation for good seed...Fast forward to about a week ago.I was doing some replanting and adding some late additions and after looking through my seeds came across Olive Hill. So I thought why not? I have nothing to loose.Now to today.After looking at the seed tray and noting some varieties coming up I did a double take. Olive Hill was one of them coming up!!Several to boot.

All this leads to what I figured out last year. Some varieties just did not like the soil used last year. I had the same trouble last year with Goat Bag as well and will get in a late planting to see if the same thing happens.The only no show I have had this year is Ernesto.I find it all odd that while other varieties had anywhere from 80 to 100% germination last year Olive Hill was at 0% and this year it is coming up 100%. Strange

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2011   #2
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Was wondering how that Olive Hill is doing for you? All my tomatoes were planted late and had hail and other issues so just now getting fruit set, but it seems to be loading up with fruit and is one of my most vigorous plants.
Old July 14, 2011   #3
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

The plants are turning out nice and are beginning to bloom.Looking good so far.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #4
organichris
Tomatovillian™

I got Olive Hill seed from Remy and am growing it out right now. I had excellent germination. Beautiful potato leaf plants with plenty of blossoms but zero tomatoes. Blame it on the heat I guess. Hopefully I can get a few for the Fall.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017   #5
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

This beast of a plant with thick stems and leaves is loaded with blossoms and counting 20 little toms set on a two stem plant 32 inches tall. Olive Hill looks like a keeper for container growing one stem up a post or a drop line, without worry of providing adequate fruit shade with it's huge leaves. Seeds were compliments of Marsha's seed offer and interested if anyone else is growing it this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17-2017olivehill.jpg (184.0 KB, 148 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017   #6
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

My Olive Hill was a brute of a plant, beautiful PL, and I had about 20 tomatoes set and growing. I lost this only plant to TSWV just a few days ago .

I collected 4 decent sized greenies and will let them ripen up.

There's always next year! Oh, BTW, I sowed 4 Olive Hill and all germinated. I gave seedlings to others to grow.
Darin
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017   #7
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear that Olive Hill is a beast! It's on my list for next year.

I lived 30 miles away in Morehead KY in the 80's - great tomato growing weather!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017   #8
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I take it that this tomato is from Olive Hill, KY? We drive up Highway 23 through that area all the time- in fact, we'll be heading to Huntington, WV on Friday for the holiday weekend. Marsha sent me some seeds, and said "a must grow!" I would have to agree!
Old June 28, 2017   #9
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

From Tatiana's:

Deep pink heirloom beefsteak tomato from Olive Hill, Kentucky that can weigh a pound or more. Excellent flavor for slicing or salad!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017   #10
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I have 2 growing from seed from Marsha. big vigorous PL plants looking promising so far.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017   #11
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I have 2 growing from seed from Marsha. big vigorous PL plants looking promising so far.

KarenO
Rock on, KarenO!!
Old September 16, 2017   #12
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

So what's the verdict on taste & production of this one?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2017   #13
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

My seeds were from Marsha as well, have four plants in the ground. No problems with germination, they were later in my garden than many others, but very good production of big tomatoes, very good flavor, nice shapes without catfacing, some top cracking due to rain. At peak of production right now, though plant appearance is really on the downhill slide which is normal here in September.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote