Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 12, 2014   #46
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yeh..windchills of -25 C here the last 3 days. I finally got some greens started though, and it took 5 days for them to germinate in the cold indoors.
But now they're sprouted. And I have teeny tiny Utah and Chinese celeries sprouting. Baby basils tucked under lights. White Lisbon onions soon wanting to be potted up.
Pepper seeds went onto the heat mat last night.
I just have to believe, it will be spring by the time they're ready...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2014   #47
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I got that feeling last night...

Nine below zero.

Still a looooooooooooooooooooooong way to go before sowing seeds.
I'll see your nine below and raise you a pair of ten belows by the beginning of next week.

I've got Onion plants in the mail and I hope they get here before the weekend, otherwise they may freeze in the Post Office.

I've got a good start on my Peppers and Eggplants and I hope to be starting my 'maters this week. My sweet potato slips are coming along nicely as is my lone ginger plant for the greenhouse. I've got a tentative date (the 24th.) for delivery of my day old chicks, and I'm shovelling snow as fast as I can to get ready for the next storm.

Here's some picks:

The ugly lookin' thing in the "Sweet Tea" container is the ginger.

Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slips.JPG (277.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Slips 2.JPG (297.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Peppers and eggplants.JPG (203.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg P and E.JPG (240.2 KB, 81 views)
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2014   #48
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
If those six hot peppers that didn’t pop up were Numex type pepper seeds from me, than the problem is my fault for not telling you that they should be hydrated before planting them. I air dry a lot of my Numex type peppers before removing the seeds, which makes the seeds drier than most packaged pepper seeds. I soak them before planting them for at least one hour, but not much more than two hours just before planting them.
Dutch

Thanks Dutch, but they aren't Numex peppers. Three now have elbows breaking through, so only three to go!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2014   #49
bower
Tomatovillian™

Great pix Charlie!
Ah, the comfort of green plants under glowing lights.... it sure is a solace for the shovelling of all that white stuff outside!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2014   #50
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Just so you guys don't get jealous of us in South Florida where it has been averaging 7-12 degrees ABOVE normal all winter, the cold is finally getting here too. It will be going down to the 40s overnight. We never ever see it that cold after the second week in January. Weird.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2014   #51
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Nice going Charlie. I use a similar setup shown in the last pic -foil faced foam insulation sandwich under the heat mat to reflect warmth back up.

What is that brown, half buried mass on right side of pic? A potato or other tuber?

Another Charlie, north of Boston where the temp now is a balmy 22F
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2014   #52
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post

You must be east of me since we haven't even hit 20f yet, and it's been snowing for a couple of hours. Since I'm not going in to the office today, I'll be starting my sweet pepper and eggplant seeds while watching the snow pile up... Again.
Old February 13, 2014   #53
taboule
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Wakefield, inside 128 and east of 93. Working from home too, just did my first round of shoveling before it turns to slush. It's 31.9 F according to the weatherbug local station.

My pepper and eggplant seeds are still sleeping under a coat of seed starter mix. Plan to start some brassicas and other greens and a few toms this weekend. I bet those will still germinate ahead of the peppers.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2014   #54
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm in Wakefield, inside 128 and east of 93. Working from home too, just did my first round of shoveling before it turns to slush. It's 31.9 F according to the weatherbug local station.

My pepper and eggplant seeds are still sleeping under a coat of seed starter mix. Plan to start some brassicas and other greens and a few toms this weekend. I bet those will still germinate ahead of the peppers.

I'm 30 miles northwest in Westford--just outside that magical 495 line where it's still in the low 20's, we already have a good four of five inches of snow on the ground and are expecting over a foot by the time it ends. I've always wondered if other states have major highways conveniently defining their local weather patterns like we do here in eastern Massachusetts. Seems like the heaviest snow falls are usually outside of 495, if there's a rain/snow line it tends to fall along 128, and then, of course, there's The Cape (Cod) that has it's own climate altogether.

So I took a skewer and went poking into the DE in my three no-show pots (I get very impatient sometimes). All were showing no signs of life. Two were saved West Allis Half Sharps and one was a purchased Red Cheese Pepper. The other four WAHS and one Red Cheese I started did sprout, so I know I have good seeds. I went ahead and started new ones and will see what happens.
Old February 15, 2014   #55
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Nice going Charlie. I use a similar setup shown in the last pic -foil faced foam insulation sandwich under the heat mat to reflect warmth back up.

What is that brown, half buried mass on right side of pic? A potato or other tuber?

That would be a Beauregard sweet potato. Since I'm starting them so early, and this being my first time, (I'm a Sweet Potato Virgin) I decided to stagger the slip production in both time and method.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2014   #56
tedln

I removed my trays of tomato seedlings from under the lights yesterday in order to water them. I had noticed a few plants blooming a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, I noticed those blooms have become tiny marble sized tomatoes. The plants will soon start hardening off outside for another month. I planted one plant last year with one small tomato on it. I thought it would probably lose the little tomato due to transplanting . It became my earliest, large tomato of the season. I may have quite a few early tomatoes this year.

Ted