Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 14, 2014   #1
Jindiman
Tomatovillian™

Default Commercial quantities of heirlooms needed

Hello,

I am a newbie, and am looking for hundred thousand pounds of SECONDS, to make my award winning tomato juice.... close to Salisbury MD....

any help would be appreciated...

thanks
Jim
Jindiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindiman View Post
Hello,

I am a newbie, and am looking for hundred thousand pounds of SECONDS, to make my award winning tomato juice.... close to Salisbury MD....

any help would be appreciated...

thanks
Jim
Jim, you already have a thread in this Forum, above, and another one in TownHall,and I just linked the one in Town Hall to your other one in this General Discussion Forum.

All on the same subject.

Carolyn
Old January 16, 2014   #3
Jindiman
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the help Carolyn....the first site of this type I have been on so it is a bit of a learning experience for me...

Interesting responses and not at all what I expected....am watching responses closely.... and google ing lots of places and hope everyone continues to give input...too many tomatoes already being produced was a bit of a shocker, I must admit....my hopes are that everyone in the US can taste an heirloom tomato so they know what they are missing..

again thanks
Jim
Old January 16, 2014   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks for the help Carolyn....the first site of this type I have been on so it is a bit of a learning experience for me...

Interesting responses and not at all what I expected....am watching responses closely.... and google ing lots of places and hope everyone continues to give input...too many tomatoes already being produced was a bit of a shocker, I must admit....my hopes are that everyone in the US can taste an heirloom tomato so they know what they are missing..

again thanks
Jim
It doesn't have to be an heirloom tomato to get what you want.
What you need is someone to grow determinate tomatoes that will all come in at more or less the same time.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2014   #5
Jindiman
Tomatovillian™

Since my business is heirloom tomatoes...and I am most interested in positive responses that are trying to help and be a little supportive or at least ask questions before making assumptions...

since you know nothing about my unique"micro-batch" canning process you would not know that I need tomatoes to come in small batches, which are why I need indeterminate tomatoes...and I hope to support small and intermediate sized growers that will take the time required by heirlooms...your response is not accurate or very helpful
Old January 16, 2014   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Since my business is heirloom tomatoes...and I am most interested in positive responses that are trying to help and be a little supportive or at least ask questions before making assumptions...

since you know nothing about my unique"micro-batch" canning process you would not know that I need tomatoes to come in small batches, which are why I need indeterminate tomatoes...and I hope to support small and intermediate sized growers that will take the time required by heirlooms...your response is not accurate or very helpful
You ever thought about going on Shark Tank?
http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139

Last edited by Worth1; January 16, 2014 at 01:02 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2014   #7
macbettz
Tomatovillian™

there was another guy who got dismissive when he started his 1000 plant grow thread you should check out for an FYI on how not to ask for advice
macbettz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2014   #8
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

In all fairness, you hadn't told us about the micro-batch process.

And one could argue that even with the micro-batch process, you do not need indeterminate tomatoes as long as you are getting a consistent supply of tomatoes. On the other hand, since most heirlooms are indeterminate, I do agree that that is what you need to get your hands on. Because that is the central identity of your product.

And once again, I think it is necessary to point out that you only "want to support intermediate and small growers" as long as they are growing heirlooms AND can sell them to you at a price that is sustainable for you (not them).

Since two growers have told you that it doesn't work for them anymore, it seems to me that you should really evaluate whether you are "helping" any individual farmer by getting them to agree to grow heirlooms for you.

A better way to "help" might be to cast a wider net, so that you take advantage of surpluses on a larger scale, as opposed to being determined to find individual growers to commit to something that may, or may not, make sense.

Quote:

Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2014   #9
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Furthermore, Jim, I would also like to point out that your only posts to this point have been about you and your business.

Most of us around here who have naked business interests (I am definitely included here) try to at least pretend that we are "community" minded, and are also interested in helping or providing advice to others.

There is a certain amount of snark and skepticism to be expected when the latest business person shows up to "get" something.
Old January 16, 2014   #10
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Worth has been a member here a long time and we like him. He is not aggressive at all. I think you would do well to remember that we expect everyone to be polite and not respond aggressively. Even if you disagree, the response must be polite. Worth's post was polite, just giving you the benefit of his experience. We know Worth has a lot of experience, we know nothing about you since you just joined this month. Worth has been here for 8 years. This site is not your typical one- you might want to read the rules for posting again.
Old January 16, 2014   #11
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Can I ask what "Award Winning Juice"you have for sale,the name of a vendor or store where I could try some?Might be hard to find 50 TONS OF SECONDS.Thats a lot of maters to cook up.

Last edited by kurt; January 16, 2014 at 08:07 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2014   #12
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

http://lukespremierfoods.com/
Old January 16, 2014   #13
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

There is also a link for growers "on the eastern shore" interested in potentially selling too-ripe firsts and seconds:

http://www.lukespremierfoods.com/ind.../lukes/growers

Depending on the price paid, I would definitely consider selling if I was in the area, but I could not commit to an amount given the uncertainties of farming and the fresh tomato markets. It looks like a nice up-scale product, particularly the tomato water which could be a great product for some chefs (for poaching).

Last edited by Fred Hempel; January 16, 2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old February 16, 2014   #14
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Did you ever find your tomatoes, Jim?