Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 2, 2021   #1
jhouse
Tomatovillian™

Default Jobes Heirloom tomato plant food question

Hi all,

I thought I would try this Jobes Heirloom granular plant food, but am confused as to application -- and you can't call the company support number and get through to anyone.

My plants a just now setting fruit, I have a variety (cherry, roma, etc) of them. The package says:

2-5-3 (under the analysis section)

directions: established plants, 1 and 1/2 cup per foot of plant spread, feed plants at dripline.

Can anyone clarify that for me? I would hate to burn my plants. Thanks so much if you can -- I just used a liquid fert up until now and the plants are nice and healthy with quite a lot of fruit set.

Jan H
jhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2021   #2
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

That's a little hard to figure out.

My first inclination would be to try to figure out something like 1-1/2C per SQ foot.

That's about a 13-1/2" dia circle.

But not everyone is OK with math.

So if your plants are about 2 feet in diameter from sucker leaf tip to one opposite, you're gonna measure out 2 cups per plant, around the perimeter of that 2 foot circle.

If you cage, and your plants are smaller, you'll use less.
And waste less.
And have to buy less.

The positive side is out there at the edge of the circle, your tomatoes' roots are safe. The negative is that as the fertilizer diffuses in the bigger circle, more weeds reach out and suck some up.

I grow tomatoes in black plastic, and use a posthole digger to make deep planting holes. I usually put about 2 TBSP of something like this in the bottom,

add a few inches of dirt, and plant my tomatoes.

I never add anything again.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old July 3, 2021   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Any organic is somewhat safe to apply once the plants are big, you'd have to use to crazy amounts to do serious damage. By that formula I would guess a good one or two spoonfull in a circle around each plant, incorporated a bit in the soil, every two weeks should work well.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2021   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

My wife uses the Jobe's spikes in her water lillies. Makes for bigger pads and lots of flowers. I get on my knees and stick my arm in the pond down to the container and shove the sticks into the soil.
Old July 3, 2021   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Wow Paul, I'd never have thought of using Jobe's spikes for water lillies! I'd have to get my diving gear on to do that though, as they are 8' deep.......

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2021   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Wow! that is deep. Ours are only up to the armpit. Our little pond is 7' diameter and 5" deep with a three foot shelf for the lilies and iris containers. No need to fertilize the iris; they tend to take over the area anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0729.jpg (261.7 KB, 77 views)
Old July 3, 2021   #7
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

That's beautiful . Our pond is very rural. We have the Irises too. The blues are Siberian, the yellows grow like weeds.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6110004.jpg (305.9 KB, 78 views)
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2021   #8
jhouse
Tomatovillian™

Default spoon or cup?

thanks Zipcode and eyolf!

But, am I understanding one of you is saying 1 and 1/2 cup per plant, (if a fairly large plant) and one of you saying a few spoonsful?

I did weedblock fabric around/under the tomatoes this year, so will have a lot of fun trying to get this fertilizer incorporated into the soil, thinking of creating a large circular "apron" of weedblock that I can remove to fertilize then stake back in. Last growing season I did deep straw which was lovely, until I got a whopping crop of voles. I've had to steer clear of mulch or straw due to those lil buggers!

the water lilies are beautiful, by the way!

Last edited by jhouse; July 3, 2021 at 04:13 PM.
Old July 4, 2021   #9
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I use the Jobes product you're referring to (I apply it every about every ~3 weeks and apply a liquid soluble fert in between). I incorporate some into soil at planting location, then first application, 1-2 weeks after planting. For tomatoes I apply about 1/4 cup around the plant. Second application and beyond I apply 1/2 cup around the plant. I pull back my straw mulch and just barely scratch into the soil. I have been very pleased with results for many years. Good luck!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2021   #10
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhouse View Post
thanks Zipcode and eyolf!

But, am I understanding one of you is saying 1 and 1/2 cup per plant, (if a fairly large plant) and one of you saying a few spoonsful?

I did weedblock fabric around/under the tomatoes this year, so will have a lot of fun trying to get this fertilizer incorporated into the soil, thinking of creating a large circular "apron" of weedblock that I can remove to fertilize then stake back in. Last growing season I did deep straw which was lovely, until I got a whopping crop of voles. I've had to steer clear of mulch or straw due to those lil buggers!

the water lilies are beautiful, by the way!
Yes, that would be about 1.5 cups per plant. I think Zipcode suggests about the same season totals (24 TBSP=1.5 C) but spread over the season.

My season is rather short; I want the plants to be "hungry" in August, and to focus on ripening tomatoes more than growth. My season will usually end with Jack Frost in September, so I encourage the tomatoes to hurry it up.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old July 5, 2021   #11
jhouse
Tomatovillian™

thanks Jmsieglaff! and eyolf.

Our season can run quite late in sw ohio. So I'll try to stretch things a bit.

I have some leftover liquid fert so I may copy Jmsieglaff and go a bit light on the granular and use liquid inbetween.

Thanks again all who took time to respond!