Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 26, 2015   #1
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default U like fresh tomatoes and anchovies on pizza?

Like to hear from other gardeners who use their fresh tomatoes on pizza. What variety works best and what anchovy brand do you prefer? Top rated anchovies are # 1 Ortiz - jar #2 - Merro - jar #3 - Agostino Recca - tin can. Hard to find a nice anchovy here in south Florida. I have been using the Cento - tin can but rated #7 on the list. Any info would be helpful.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2015   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Guess I'm not too picky about anchovy brands because anchovies in general are difficult to find. Walmart anchovies work for me. Sometimes they are in a can, and sometimes they are in a can inside a box.

I like halved cherry tomatoes on my pizza, when I have them.

I make pizza from scratch and start with pizza sauce, then onions, red bell pepper, mushrooms, black olives, anchovies (dogs get the oil drizzled over their food) then grated mozzarella cheese. Yummy!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2015   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I like to make base sauce ( w/ Italian herbs) and then add lots of cheese and toppings.
I use anchovies in cooking but have not used it on pizza. But it sounds good to me. I'll try it the next time.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Pizza is one of my least favorite foods but I can make them.
Tomatoes are okay but anchovies no.
I cant stand anchovies on pizza even though I think kippers and eggs for breakfast are the bomb.
I will even eat sardines for breakfast.
But no anchovies on pizzas.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2015   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Love anchovies on pizza especially if the tomato sauce is tangy and spicy.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2015   #6
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

What anchovy brands do U find are the best?
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2015   #7
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Pita Pocket Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
Like to hear from other gardeners who use their fresh tomatoes on pizza. What variety works best and what anchovy brand do you prefer? Top rated anchovies are # 1 Ortiz - jar #2 - Merro - jar #3 - Agostino Recca - tin can. Hard to find a nice anchovy here in south Florida. I have been using the Cento - tin can but rated #7 on the list. Any info would be helpful.
Since it is the misses and I now we do not like to order/make a whole pie so we were turned on to a smaller version of it.

Pita Pocket split in two and toasted well.
Rub/drizzle EVOO to taste.
My half gets sardine or anchovy oil only.
Cherry maters cut thin on top.
Fresh Basils cut thin.
Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella cut thin.
All this on the Pita pocket interior,original crust down.
Baked in toaster oven until cheese bubbles.
Old October 26, 2015   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Cento (yellow tin) and Roland (red tin) are the most widely available around here unless you go to an Italian market. Of the two, I prefer Cento. I don't use them on pizza that often, but I do make a lot of Caesar dressing that uses four anchovy fillets and (gasp!) a raw egg.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2015   #9
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

I have used everything from Cherries, plums, hearts, huge beefstakes and tomatoes of any color on pizzas. However, I can't embrace those stinky,smelly little fish on anything. How do you people get that horrific aroma past your nose and then deposit it into your mouth?

Old Chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2015   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've read that people who do like anchovies - do not like sardines. People who like Sardines - do not like Anchovies. I have read that in many forms of media for 40+ years.

Pizza, to me, if I had to choose one and only one food to eat forever - it is Pizza. It would be mushroom extra cheese with the classic tomato base and other vegetables sometimes. If I had to choose a meat - it would be shrimp/lobster/scallops/clam/seafood.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #11
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Some of my favorite tomatoes to eat are also the juiciest. I think if they went on pizza, the high water content would need to be dealt with first, maybe by grilling over a fire.

Dried tomatoes would be interesting, but their sweetness would have to go well with the rest of the pizza.

I just got seeds for some peppadew peppers. I am going to try to can a few; they're supposed to go great on pizza.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #12
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I've read that people who do like anchovies - do not like sardines. People who like Sardines - do not like Anchovies. I have read that in many forms of media for 40+ years.
I guess that I am just weird then. I like anchovies and sardines.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Talking pizza now.

I like thick crust, extra tomato sauce, double cheese mix.
The only topping that I like is pepperoni. I will try anchovy some time. I love anchovy.
I think tomato on top will make pizza too watery.
Getting hungry
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #14
Adriana
Tomatovillian™

I like anchovies on my Caesar salad, but they might be too much for me on a pizza. As to tomatoes, try confit tomatoes on a grilled pizza with fresh mozzarella. Then top with fresh basil just before serving. Amazing!

Last edited by Adriana; October 27, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Adriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #15
taboule
Tomatovillian™

This one hit the spot: anchovies, sweet onions and raw tomatoes make the best pizza. The salt from the fish nicely blends and mellows out with the sweetness of the other ingredients.I use the drier toms to avoid runoff, plums or hearts, squeezed from seeds.

Not too fussy about anchovy brand, use whatever I have on hand. In addition to the ones named, I also use Pastene, either the fillets or the rolled ones, and use them with along with the capers. Also drizzle the oil all over the onions, the high heat fries them.

Other favorite pizza toppings are roasted eggplant, artichokes and sweet sausage.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote