Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 8, 2016   #346
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Interesting story! Local color (for me) in South Jersey
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2016   #347
Compuaide
Tomatovillian™

LOL, my point exactly. $5000 estimated made it into circulation. That would buy a nice Caddy then.

He had to have invested about the same amount or more into the 'ingredients' to make these 25,000$ worth of coins (400,000 dumped in 2 rivers).

And he had to pay a $5000 fine and 3 years in jail. Not worth it so why do it? The lesson was learned so long ago that even thinking about printing off good $1 bills would cost you $5. How could it be worth it?

Silly people. Even the federal reserve figured it out with silver, nickel and copper. The melt value of a 1932-1964 silver quarter is 3.53. That's why they started using copper and zinc from 1965 on. It's only worth 3¢ melt value now.

Ralph
Compuaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2016   #348
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The same goes for the penny.
I was on the US mint site the other day and they broke down all of the currency and what it was made of.
http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint...specifications
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2016   #349
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Today I found some BBQ brisket I didn't know I had but I know how long I have had it.
Clearing out the freezer and only eating what I have at home and nothing else.
This becomes challenging at times and may not be what I want to eat but just something so I wont be hungry.
I can afford food I am just rotating my inventory so food doesn't get old and go to waste.
I ate some with the fermented Hab sauce and I have to say it went with it real well.
I have been eating a fermented hot hab pickled sweet potato slice for breakfast.

Worth
Old August 9, 2016   #350
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

So I have a problem with fermenting peppers. I have done cucumbers since long time with good success, 5% salt in water, boiled, cooled (or not), some garlic and some dried dill.
Now this year I planted 2 pots with some mildly hot peppers and all 3 jars I made basically get a moldy smell real fast (like 3-4 days), and neetheless to say turn out bad (bitter also). They were not put in same day (I only have 2 pots after all), and some were also different variety.
The recipe was the same except the dill.
I don't get it, what am I doing wrong? They were completely submerged too. Shouldn't that kinda not let any mold form? Basically all my production till now has gone to waste. I thought of adding a bit of carrot, maybe they don't have enough sugar in them to ferment? Also a weird thing, in the first jar the peppers remained completely saltless after 2 weeks even though the brine was pretty gosh darnoodley salty?
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #351
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Did you cut the peppers to allow the brine to get inside? I just finished the first ever fermenting and read that green peppers don't have enough sugar so I added about a tablespoon of sugar to a gallon and also added shredded carrots and they came out fine. I also kept them at 72 degrees F.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #352
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

They were cut, yes. I will try the carrots next then I guess.
Old August 9, 2016   #353
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What was your water source and you dont want to put anything in boiling water first.
If you do you will have to inoculate it
I have never had to add any sugar to the peppers to get them to kick off.
My green jalapeno peppers took off in less than a day.
The moldy smell?
Was there mold?
Peppers take some time to ferment and you may have needed to just leave them alone.
I still have the one quart of Habs on the counter clucking along.

Worth
Old August 9, 2016   #354
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This needs to be read so folks get a better understanding of what is going on and the reason I let this stuff go for awhile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut#Production

The peppers I fermented in the crock were de-stemmed cut in half salted in layers and tamped down like you would sauerkraut.
The only brine liquid I used was to cover the peppers and the stones.

Worth '
Old August 9, 2016   #355
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

I've gotten to the point I never use tap water for fermenting. Sometimes you can smell the chlorine (or whatever it is they're using nowadays) when you turn the tap on! Last time I did the peppers went bad fast - just like zipcode's did.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #356
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any other source than tap water. I also have one of those filtering things, but from what I understand they only filter out calcium carbonate.
Are peppers slower to pickle than cucumbers? (like way slower?). I know now in the summer in one week tops cucumbers would be well ready to eat.
Btw, the pouring boiling water on the pickles has worked for my mother for cucumbers, better than not boiled for storage, and oddly enough I wouldn't say they tasted different or different texture. Also there is a technique to take the brine after they are ready to eat, boil it, and put it back. Many folks use it to extend the storage life and it works. (by here I mean Romania, in (west) Germany pretty much no one believes pickles without vinegar even exist).
Old August 9, 2016   #357
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have a small RO system I use for this.
A charcoal filter will remove chlorine very well.
The boiling of the brine is what I do too and then pour it back over the peppers with vinegar added to it.
Yes in my experience the peppers take one heck of a lot longer to ferment to my taste.
Worth
Old August 9, 2016   #358
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Default Afraid

I was hoping this thread would go away.
Every time it pops up I think about the fermentation going in moms old cookie jar.
The one I started a year ago and forgot to check.

Very afraid to open it.

All those delicious childhood memories of molasses cookies, no cook oatmeal cookies, snickerdoodles, russian tea cakes chocolate chip cookies, all ruined in a salty toxic stew of rotten cucumbers and bacterial slime. Well thats what my imagination has going on anyway.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #359
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You might be surprised at what is in there.
Man up.
You can clean it out.

I used to make stuff when I was a kid just so it would rot and leave it as a time bomb so to speak.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; August 9, 2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old August 10, 2016   #360
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I got it from The Sausage Maker.
They aren't the cheapest people on earth but by darn they stand behind their product.
I have ordered from them since before the internet.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/fermenting-pots-s/2094.htm

Ill let you chew on Barbs links and get back with you.
Worth

Worth, I'm thinking about ordering a fermenting crock for making sauerkraut, but it would probably be the next size down as I don't need to make as much as you are making. Question is, after you have the crock awhile, do you still like it? Thanks!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote