Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 5, 2008   #1
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Default Cherokee Green X White Current

I was hoping to cross these two this year and get a green cherry that everyone would like. I tried Green Grape and was wholly unimpressed. White Current and Cherokee Green a delicious so I figured this could be a winner.

I figured I would plant them two feet apart and then let them intertwine. Then I would save seeds from both and looked for intermediate leaf types or other obvious differences among the sprouts. Could I expect to see this?

Also, some have suggested that I directly cross flowers. Is there quick and dirty way to do this? What is recomended?

Greg
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Greg, there's a green when ripe cherry that I think is much better than GG and it's called Green Doctors. It's a spontaneous mutation from the variety Dr. Carolyn.

I had a plant last year but it went south. However a good friend in FL sent me fruits of many kinds and included was GD. It also was highly praised at Tomatopalooza last year when gardenmama brought fruits from seeds I had sent her that had been sent to me.

It's available at Sandhillpreservation.com

Just thought you might like to try that one before embarking on a somewhat longer breeding project.
Old May 5, 2008   #3
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Here's a picture from TP V. Can't remember tasting this one,
so can't comment on the taste.

I would think Green Giant would be better to cross with than
Cherokee Green. The PL would help id if the cross took
much easier.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008   #4
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Carolyn,

Let me get this straight, Galena became Dr. Carolyn and now Dr. Carolyn became Doctor Green?

Quite a lot of mutating going on around here! I will have to try it. Thanks for the tip.

Greg
Old May 5, 2008   #5
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Lee,

I tried Green Giant one year and it was very hard to tell when it was ripe such that I don't know if I have had a ripe one. Also, the falvor never seem to mature into something pleasing at any point. I have seeds but I am wondering if I have a bad batch or if it just was a bad spot to grow them.

I like the idea of using a Potato leaf. That is a very good way to tell!

Thanks for the info,
Greg
Old May 5, 2008   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gflynn View Post
Carolyn,

Let me get this straight, Galena became Dr. Carolyn and now Dr. Carolyn became Doctor Green?

Quite a lot of mutating going on around here! I will have to try it. Thanks for the tip.

Greg
Not that simple.

Saved seed from Galina gave all plants that were RL and different plants had different colored cherry tomatoes. I thought the ivory one was best, sent it to Steve Draper, who named it and listed it in the SSE Yearbook.

Another SSE member sent me one he named Dr. Carolyn Pink. And in the past some folks have planted Dr. Carolyn and gotten red fruits. Me too.

I will never understand what went on with that situation with Galina and Steve Draper didn't understand it either.

Yes, Dr, Carolyn mutated to a green when ripe cherry in someones garden. I asked Keith Mueller if that were possible and after looking at some genetics he said yes, it was.

Hence, Green Doctors.
Old May 6, 2008   #7
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Greg, just letting plants intertwine isn't a very reliable way to cross them. Hand pollinating isn't difficult, just takes a little practice.
Here's a link that might help: http://www.kdcomm.net/~tomato/Tomato/xingtom.html

Carolyn, How come it's Green Doctors rather than Green Doctor?
Old May 6, 2008   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Carolyn, How come it's Green Doctors rather than Green Doctor?

Ray, I didn't mean to mislead anyone for it wasn't my discovery, and as I said above, it was found in someone else's garden.

But both of us have Ph.D's and since it was the variety Dr. Carolyn that mutated it was named for both of us, thus the plural.

It's also the name of a popular trout fishing fly.