Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 26, 2018   #31
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Another great haul! I really like the way you labeled your pictures. Your official taster looks to be really working at it.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018   #32
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Hovermother22, I fertilize every 2 weeks. My last one for the season was mid August. I still have a lot of green ones, as well. This harvest is from plants in the ground. Container tomatoes ripen much quicker, since the soil warms up much quicker. I usually get a few ripe ones in early July, enough for fresh eating.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018   #33
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Awesome pics Nancy! Glad u are having a great season. Our Florida season has started and have transplanted about 10 of my tomatoes and 10 pepper varieties so far. I noticed your "Klara" tomato. Looks like a nice red tomato. How is taste and disease and production? My "reds" this season so far are Linda's Faux, Aker's W. Virginia and Germaid Red and NAR.
Gardenboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018   #34
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Wonderful pics of awesome tomatoes! I've never messed much with tomatoes that didn't have as many disease resistance codes behind their name as I could find. But this year I finally had success with one or two open pollinateds so the door is open for next year's selections.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018   #35
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Klara is as good as she looks, sweet, meaty and juicy. Very nice variety. My best producing and tasting reds and pinks this season (I don’t differentiate) have been Brandyberry Pink, Daetwyler, George Detsikas Italian Red, Mikhalych, Polish, and West Virginia Sweetmeat. There are other great tasting one, but they didn’t shine as much in the production department.
Old August 26, 2018   #36
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Wonderful pics of awesome tomatoes! I've never messed much with tomatoes that didn't have as many disease resistance codes behind their name as I could find. But this year I finally had success with one or two open pollinateds so the door is open for next year's selections.
You should read b54reds threads. He has made a science of growing tomatoes under difficult southern conditions. He is an inspiration for us all.
Old August 26, 2018   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors tomatoes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018   #38
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Tuesday, when I was canning all those babies, I was thinking I should be careful what I wish for.
Old August 26, 2018   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Tuesday, when I was canning all those babies, I was thinking I should be careful what I wish for.
Exactly.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2018   #40
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I don't know how I missed this, but WOW! That photo should be made into wallpaper, I'd paste it in my bedroom for sure . Congrats on a wonderful year. Mine was terrible, tomato-wise; oh well, you lose some years. The trade off was no spider mites.
How long does your season last till?
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2018   #41
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

We don’t usually get a hard frost until at least mid October, but I have still had impatiens survive until December one year. Production has begun to slow down, though. I have canned tomatoes every way I can think of, so we will be well supplied for the winter months.