Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 16, 2008   #1
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

Default Is it a mutant and is it stable?

Okay, I suppose this is a little off-topic but it seemed like this would be the place to go to find an answer. Here is the scenario. Last year, I planted a Burgundy Traveler. I don't recall who sent me the seeds. Well, the plant was healthy and the tomatoes were burgundy indeed but they were cherries. To be more specific, they were large, tasty cherries. I have looked through a lot of catalogs on paper and online and have found nothing like them. So, I decided to save seeds. The seeds produced a plant that is now in my garden and it is looking like a cherry as well. Across town from me, bigcheef has two more of the plants from my saved seed. So, my question is, if bigcheef's plants and my plant both produce the large burgundy cherries, what would it be safe to assume about their stability and whether they represent a new variety if they are stable? Funny part of the whole story is that I am not a cherry fancier. Just as in music, however, I think I can still distinguish the bad from the good even it is not a genre I really care for.

mater

Last edited by tomatoguy; May 16, 2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: to eschew obfuscation
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Tomatoguy,

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/pas...274_740_tn.jpg

Burgandy Traveller in the above pix is pink, regular leaf, and fairly large fruits.

I don't have all the particulars of what you received last year. That you have a cherry tomato and burgandy poses the questions of the shade of burgandy as in pink, pinkish black, pinkish green, pinkish brown??? If there was crossing going on just two generations ago, I would expect some segregation between your plant and bigcheef''s two.

Just because you haven't seen such a tomato fruit as what you had last year doesn't mean you have a new type of tomato. My guess in that there is always someone who would want to trade for that seed to see if it looks like something they already have.

I have certainly made selections from seed that people have sent me, but usually I make purposeful crosses since I am a stickler to pedigree detail. But I am fully aware that others like yourself will have fun with what you have, and would be willing to claim it as a new discovery.

If all else fails, take some photos of the cherry tomatoes at the ripe stage with cross sections and diameter info. Post them here at this posted forum message area. If you want my further opinion, I suppose you could send me some seed to observe in the late summer, so that I can get a sample in the late summer sowings.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008   #3
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the input. The burgundy color is just like what I have seen in pictures for Burgundy Traveler. I would describe it as pinkish purple.

I think you answered my question about it being a mutant. If bigcheef has even one plant that isn't a large burgundy cherry, I assume that what I have is an accidental cross. However, if all three are the same cherries, then it would likely either be a mutant or a seed mixup. Growing out yet another generation, I assume would confirm or refute this. Would that be a correct assumption?

I am pretty sure I got the seed in '05 but I am not sure who sent it. I asked in the trading section but have received no reply as yet.

If we get all three cherries, I will definitely make some pictures and get some opinions on what it might be.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote