Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 6, 2014   #16
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Flamingo beans approaching the sixteen-foot mark as it works its way up the twine past my second-story windows...
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2014   #17
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I want to know how you got the twine to 16 feet. Dropped down off the roof? And, I'm not going to ask how you harvest the ones at the top, since it is not wise to even try to harvest them. I should know. I've been on the top rung of a ladder too often. Good thing my raised beds are super soft.

My record vine length is about 20 feet, although precise measuring is impossible. These vines circled 3" diameter poles and being a group of six vines all circling around the same pole together.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2014   #18
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

There are a pair of 'hooks' on either side of the second-story window...I tied one end of the twine to those, and ran them down to the main plant, which is growing in a 'Smart Pot'. The vines are making their way across the top of the window. The cluster of leaves and vines running up the front of the house get a lot of looks from people driving by. As for picking the beans? I'll leave that to my pair of rare Malaysian Climbing Cats.
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2014   #19
catanache
Tomatovillian™

Any chance these will be included in a swap this year? I really enjoyed the pole beans I grew this year and want to expand my varieties next year. These are some of the prettiest beans I've seen.

Or if someone is willing to trade for some? PM me if so. Thanks!
catanache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2014   #20
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

They will be offered in the swap, but...

My harvest will be done in a few days. Rabbits (or maybe a lone deer that made just one visit) took out many vines, so my seeds are not as plentiful as last year. I'll have to see how many requests I have and also count the beans. Hopefully, I won't have to put out a few calls for more seed.

I'll likely offer the other pink podded bean I'm working on. No name for it yet.

Gary
Old October 15, 2014   #21
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Gary, do let us know if you need more beans for the swap. I have some of your beautiful Flamingo's drying right now. The odd thing is that they were still pink when I picked them. (I had to because we were due to get a lot of rain). I shelled them and laid them out in trays to finish drying, but the darned things keep sprouting!!!! I weed out the sprouted ones to use in soup and, hopefully, the remainder will continue to dry and not sprout!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2014   #22
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Linda,

I hear you on the sprouting. A wet year at harvest time and I'll lose about half.

Luckily it's been a fairly dry harvest season, for me. I had a few extra plants that I forgot about, from a re-seeding of a different teepee. Those plants produced most of my seed, which will be plenty for trading. I was surprised at the quality (virtually all blemish free) and amount per pod (~8).

Gary
Old June 9, 2015   #23
ZeakMato
Tomatovillian™

Default Gold of Bacau

I have a friend from Bacau and was going to give him some GOLD OF BACAU bean seed but I must have ---- ??? Is there anyone that can send me a few seeds? SASE or whatever you like. zeakrice@hotmail.com
ZeakMato is offline   Reply With Quote