Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old June 6, 2016   #31
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

Around what dates are you planting for fall?
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2016   #32
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I plant in July to get Christmas new potatoes.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2016   #33
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Funny this thread popped back up. Last night I was thinking about planting fall tomatoes. Our first frost can be anywhere from about Nov 1- Dec 1. If I do a small bed I could even put some hoops over it and they probably could be growing until Jan.
What would I need to do to prep some grocery store or produce market potatoes since I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to find potatoes for sale at that time? I'd like to try some fingerling varieties but I know they're late so maybe Yukon Gold and some sort of red?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #34
berryman
Tomatovillian™

I have been so busy with other things that I haven't planted yet. I have a bucket (about 5lbs) of sprouted fingerlings that I will plant tomorrow.
The volunteers in the garden came up in April, got frozen but are back in style now. Froze here the middle of May.
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #35
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I am seriously thinking of planting my potatoes in the late Fall instead of in the Spring. I missed a small row last year and the window for getting in the garden was extremely tiny this year for Spring planting... (that said I still have potatoes I haven't gotten in *sigh*!) and the ones I missed wintered over and are absolutely the nicest I have ever seen in my garden.
Old June 14, 2016   #36
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Cl, the same thing happened to me... last year I couldn't get all of the spuds out of the ground and this year they are looking better than ever.

Why can't we raise potatoes on the same schedule as we do garlic? When you think about it, they are kind of the same. ?
Just make sure to mulch enough to keep the tubers from freezing and spoiling.
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2016   #37
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

berryman... I did nothing to these potatoes over the winter and there were mornings I went to shovel snow it was 5*f... that was cold! I suspect it would take much colder to harm them or warmer and wet to rot them, but I even doubt that unless they were diseased already but then they should be pulled and disposed of if they are showing those signs.
Old August 12, 2017   #38
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I had a few hills os spring planted potatoes. They did just ok but not great.
Yesterday ( (Aug 11 ) I planted some for fall harvest.
I think potatoes take 80 to 100 days from planting. I take average 90 days. So my potatoes should be harvest ready by mid November, before our first frost day.

Anybody else is planting fall crop potatoes ?

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #39
Fred Westcott
Tomatovillian™

I'm about the same. I planted German Butterball about mid April, 90-day potatoes. Have another bunch of potatoes I want to plant now for late fall Harvest.
Fred Westcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #40
MdTNGrdner

Yes, but using store bought starts so we'll see how they do! Good luck with yours.
Old August 27, 2017   #41
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

some update- early potatoes were from local Menards, Red Norland mostly. Smaller and not as productive as usual. Planted on early side mid April.
Second bed was with organic potatoes from Maine. Spensive but worth it. Superb results and very tasty. I used two varieties and planted about 10 days later. Time wise it works really good for us as we start collecting first batch earlier and eat it and then second more for keeping, storage.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #42
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Hubby missed digging out a lot of fingerlings last year.

I cover the veggie gardens with tarps for the winter as it stops those spring weeds, and I like to think that it helps to keep the nutrients in the soil from getting washed out.

So we lifted the tarp in the spring to find a whole swarth of potato growth. I was concerned that they might not be that great because the leaves were pale, so I planted a few more in the gaps, but could have saved myself the trouble because they turned out just fine despite never getting mounded up. Now what to do with the 50 pounds of fingerlings that hubby harvested yesterday?????

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #43
MdTNGrdner

Wow, that's great Linda - spring bonus! I ended up just throwing my store-bought starts into the compost, so no fall potatoes this year. But then DH helped me start a new bed for spring planting potatoes and more beans. Yeah!
Old October 3, 2017   #44
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Hubby missed digging out a lot of fingerlings last year.

I cover the veggie gardens with tarps for the winter as it stops those spring weeds, and I like to think that it helps to keep the nutrients in the soil from getting washed out.

So we lifted the tarp in the spring to find a whole swarth of potato growth. I was concerned that they might not be that great because the leaves were pale, so I planted a few more in the gaps, but could have saved myself the trouble because they turned out just fine despite never getting mounded up. Now what to do with the 50 pounds of fingerlings that hubby harvested yesterday?????

Linda
aww, that is a great haul! I am giving up on fingerlings. The other ones are fantastic though. Now specially that we got Smart over that does air frying....
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2017   #45
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have a few hills of fall potatoes, mostly red.
My spring panting was below par.
We shall see how fall planting does.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote