Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old June 12, 2016   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You shouldn't eat anything you cant have alcohol with.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You shouldn't eat anything you cant have alcohol with.

Worth
Exactly. The whole point of civilized alcohol use is that it is to be with food! So foods that can't... what.... huh... that's not food.
I also draw the line at mushrooms that are 'poisonous until cooked, don't breathe the fumes while cooking'... what the heck 'false morel'. After the apocalypse, we'll use them to make rocket fuel instead.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Exactly. The whole point of civilized alcohol use is that it is to be with food! So foods that can't... what.... huh... that's not food.
I also draw the line at mushrooms that are 'poisonous until cooked, don't breathe the fumes while cooking'... what the heck 'false morel'. After the apocalypse, we'll use them to make rocket fuel instead.
I know I must come across as an alcoholic here but I'm not trust me.

Last night I was going to have my evening beer and forgot all about it.
I simply think that good beer or wine should be served with meals including lunch.
Worth
Old June 12, 2016   #19
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I'm always excited when I see people curious about mushrooms. Looking for them and recognizing them used to be one of my grand passions when I was a child - I still like them these days, but my appetite has gone down after a mycologist explained that almost ALL mushrooms have larvae in them, even if they're too tiny to see. Only the Chantarelle species seem to be maggot free

Last edited by NarnianGarden; June 12, 2016 at 03:54 PM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #20
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Grandpa Ted has been known to take a "touch" of various brews. But he will not take part in anything that might put a damper on having a "touch" now and then. At my age, 71, I've given up a lot of things I enjoyed in my younger years. I'm even getting better on the language issue. But be warned. Don't mess around with my having a "touch" of goodness every now and then. I never drink until I'm completely done for the day. I won't even touch my power tools if I've had my evening libation. I don't drink and then drive under any circumstances. There's a time and place for everything, but don't tell me when I can imbibe. Personally, I think folks who don't drink are missing something. They have to know that when they get up in the morning, that's the best they're gonna feel all day long. I can't live that way.

I am always your best friend. But mess around with my liquid enjoyment, and you'll quickly find out how much of an unrelenting, upset old fart I can be.

I've always said that man cannot live by bread alone, he must have peanut butter. And he must have something to wash that down with.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Heck they had wine at the last supper and it wasn't Welch's grape juice.

It is nice to know the only mushroom I buy isn't infested with maggots.

Worth
Old June 12, 2016   #22
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Worth, let's hope so They can be devious those little fellows!
Old June 12, 2016   #23
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Worth, if you're an alcoholic, then I'm unconscious from alcohol poisoning. I am a firm believer that gardening with a "touch" in the system makes finding the critters a lot more tolerable. Now, understand that I'll kill anything moving in the garden and identify it later. But having a little bit of liquid enjoyment makes the killing a lot more fun.

Our old double-door fridge is set up out in the garage and holds my beer, my spirits, and my chasers. It is completely full most of the time.

Have you ever mixed Vodka, V-8 juice, and margarita mix. I call it a "Moscow Maria". It's kinda like a Bloody Mary with an attitude. Definitely for after the sun sets.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #24
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Another great and universally known mushroom:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craterellus_tubaeformis

This grows well in our climate and is often collected until, even after the first frost. Excellent when dried - we still have a bag almost full with these goodies, from a lady who is active in hunting-gathering activities. (her husband can make excellent liquor /brandy of almost any fruits, even cherry pits...)
Old June 12, 2016   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This reminds me of when I was about 17.
Our bus driver was a good guy and it was a long time ago.
we had about 2 kids left on the bus and I was the last kid to get off the bus and the first one to get on every day.
We were going down a gravel road and I was looking out the window.
All of a sudden I yelled out STOP THE BUS!!!!
Mr Mcgehee slammed on the brakes and said what is it.
Back up there is a sack full of beer in the ditch so he backed up I got out grabbed the beer and got back on.
I got home and put the beer in the refrigerator.
My dad asked where did you find that, 'on the side of the road.
We didn't keep beer in the house but it was okay.
The next day the bus driver my dad and myself sat out in the shade at the picnic table and had our free beer two each in about one hour.
Mr Mcgehee got back on the bus and drove back to town to his house.
Back in those days the bus driver took the bus home every day and they were also the school custodian and general repair guys.
In other words if the bus needed fixing it would be fixed by the drivers or anything else that needed fixing.

When I turned 18 I could legally buy beer he would stop at the Conoco station and let me do this if certain kids weren't on the bus.

I dont know if any of this was wrong or right but I can say one thing schools and life was one heck of a lot better.

Worth
Old June 12, 2016   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Ted no I haven't but it reminds me of the drinking contest we had in the Marines.
Each one of us three guys decided to see who could out drink the other.
One guy had a half gallon of Black Velvet one a half gallon of wild turkey and I had half gallon of vodka.
I sort of cheated I didn't drink as much the other two passed out and I went to bed and woke up before them and continued drinking and was drinking when they woke up.
Then we had to take the PFT test that day.
My oldest brother in Okinawa thought it would be a fantastic idea to take canteens of rum on the annual 30 mile forced march we had to do ever year.
Instead of water.
He never had another drink of rum in his life after that.

Worth
Old June 13, 2016   #27
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Smoky and Peppery

Quote:
Another great and universally known mushroom:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craterellus_tubaeformis
"Smoky and peppery" sounds nice. That's pretty much how I like barbecue.
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #28
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellcat View Post
"Smoky and peppery" sounds nice. That's pretty much how I like barbecue.
We have these too, every now and then they have an incredible year and are everywhere, in dry years they are scarce. But they are easy to dry and keep really well, so we stock up when there's a good year. We call them winter chanterelles. They make awesome pickles too. I can usually find enough for a few jars of pickles, even in a bad year.
This mushroom is loaded with vitamin D, and maybe why they keep so well. I had some dried ones in the cupboard one time that were ten years old, and it was amazing, they were as fresh as ever.
Old June 13, 2016   #29
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Narnian, those type of shrooms do not grow around me, but in the mountains here I have gathered and eaten many Boletus edulus. If I can find them when young then the maggots are not there. They are cooked anyway so the idea doesn't bother me much--more protein!
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2016   #30
bower
Tomatovillian™

Around here the most common insect in chanterelles of both kinds are springtails - these funny looking little things under a microscope but to the naked eye looks like a little black speck. They're impossible to clean out entirely afaict... which is why I recommend always to cook your mushrooms with a little black pepper. Anything so small as to pass for pepper, and doesn't affect the taste, well I can live with it as long as it pretends to be.. pepper.