Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old March 26, 2006   #31
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

I've been hesitant to commit attending the plant swap. But watching you all type about it and planning... not to mention that my winter sown tomatoes are finally starting to sprout. And of course, they didn't sprout before I decided to sow some more indoors and brought a shop light to put them under. lol If all goes well, I should have some to share. I'll post a list once things really get going.
Aside from that, it is my first year growing from seed and for growing heirlooms, so perhaps I'll learn a few things too!
Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Cathy
Old March 27, 2006   #32
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Here we grow again.

Welcome to the CHOPTAG fold Cathy.

As I’m sure you read in previous posts you don’t need to worry about having plants to share. Yes it’s nice if you do but you are more than welcome to come if you don’t.

We really are a nice bunch of folks. I’m sure you’ll enjoy yourself.

What part of Ohio are you from?
Old March 28, 2006   #33
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Jerry,
I'm in Hamilton.

I have a feeling that if I don't have any plants to bring, I'll be looking for everyone else's extras!
More of the winter sown seeds sprouted today and I noticed tonight that the indoor ones are starting to come up. So we will see...
Old March 30, 2006   #34
rsolinski
CHOPTAG™

HI Cathy!
Oh, don't worry..my advice to you will be to bring a car large enough for all the plants that will be thrust upon you ..And come HUNGRY..

Ray
Old April 2, 2006   #35
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice Ray!
If that's the case, why did I bother planting seeds of my own?

Some of what I may bring...
Azoychka
Cherokee Purple
Earl's Faux
Grub's Mystery Green
San Marzano
Silvery Fir Tree
Stick
Santa
Lithuanian
Out of 27 varieties, 5 have not germinated yet. It's still early for me to say for sure what I may have, so will update as the time gets nearer.

Cathy
Old April 3, 2006   #36
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Cathy,
You want me to put your name on one of the remaining Kimberlys? They're starting to get tall, I may have to stake them soon and find some bigger pots! Most of them already have baby tomatoes. I may have to beg Brian [if he drives his truck to the meet] to stop by and transport them. LOL.
Old April 3, 2006   #37
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Cathy,

I wouldn't mind having one or two of those Grub's Mystery Greens. My list is somewhere on this thread. See if there's anything you'd like me to bring ya.

Lisa
Old April 4, 2006   #38
mms
Tomatovillian™

Default Plant Swap

Hello all,
After exchanging emails with Gary and a couple of other CHOPTAGers I have decided that I have to attend. Of course the fact that I managed to clear my schedule that weekend helps a bunch.

My plants are at the just getting their first set of leaves stage, so I am not even gonna hint about what I can bring. With my luck it would probably kill them. But if all goes well I will have many varieties to share. I see that several people have mentioned the varieties they will be bringing and while many would be tempting, there are really only two varieties that I would still like to add to my garden this year. Silvery Fir Tree because I promised to grow a pair for a friend and I can't get them to germinate. And Stick, because I have tried to get seeds and couldn't. So if anyone has a couple of these that they don't need I will happily adopt them.

I'm really looking forward to going and finally putting faces with all of the cryptic names. I certainly hope that someone will post directions for all of us coming from neighboring states.

MMS
(Indiana, coming up I-71 hint, hint)

I am a man,
but I can change,
if I have to....

I guess.
Old April 4, 2006   #39
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

MMS,

Yes, I’ll post some directions for everyone from every direction. I’m a tad behind in my pot-ups so give me a day or two.
Old April 4, 2006   #40
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Earl,
How long ago did you first post about the Kimberly's? I've been hoping that they'd all get spoken for quickly as I do have seeds, but was planning on them next year, so have been resisting the temptation of asking for one of your 4 foot ready-made Kimberly's for this year. I just can't resist any longer! So, please, put me down for one, unless someone without seeds needs it. TY
Lisa,
I should have at least one GMG for you. How about putting me down for a Druzba if you have any left? TY
mms,
I'm fairly sure that I'll have one Silvery Fir Tree and one Stick that you are welcome to.

Mind you that none of my plants will be anything like Earl's 4 foot Kims! They are still quite small and though I don't anticipate any problems, ya never know.
I now have 25 varieties (out of 27) that have sprouted or are germinating and the Kimberly and Druzba will fill out my list for this year.
Cathy
Old April 4, 2006   #41
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Cathy,
Ok, you're added to the list. I intended to only keep one of the Kimberlys when I started seed but couldn't bash in the heads of the other ones so I ended up with 15. LOL. This is sort of a unusual event made possible by getting the GH, not something I do all the time. With another month to go what I delever may look like a one by one four feet tall. :-) No snickering please.
Old April 8, 2006   #42
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I promised some directions so here the are.

If you are coming from the North, Down I-75 or I-71 you’ll want to take I275 East to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Using the CENTER lane turn LEFT off the exit. This will put you in the right hand lane on Wards Corner Rd. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.

If your coming from the South up I-71/75 take I-275 North to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Turn Right off the exit. Stay in the right hand lane. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.

For those coming from Indiana use I-275 through Kentucky continuing to exit 54 (Wards Corner Rd). Turn Right off the exit. Stay in the right hand lane. Turn RIGHT at the 1st street, Loveland-Miamiville Rd. Go about 7/10 of a mile and turn RIGHT on Price Rd. The park is at the top of the hill, about ½ mile, on the right.

I think this covers everyone but if you’re coming from somewhere else and need help let me know.
Old April 8, 2006   #43
mms
Tomatovillian™

Default Name of Park?

Jerry,
Just out of curiosity, a couple of questions.

What is the name of the park? And does it have an address?

I assume that kids are welcome at this event, will there be any kids?

Cathy,
If the Stick/Curl and SFT make it I will gladly give them a Hoosier home.

MMS

I am a man,
but I can change,
if I have to....

I guess.
Old April 8, 2006   #44
mms
Tomatovillian™

Default One More Thing

One more thing for everyone who will be attending.

I will be bumping my plants up to bigger containers starting tonight. Once they make this transition I will feel comfortable that they will survive to make the trip. My seeds were started over a period of a couple of weeks so it will be a little while before I complete the process. But as soon as I do I will post a list of available plants so I can be sure and bring the varieties that can be used.

MMS

I am a man,
but I can change,
if I have to....

I guess.
Old April 8, 2006   #45
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

MMS,

Click on the link in the first post in this thread. It lists the park name and has a link on that page for directions. The park is named Paxton Ramsey. Located at 6265 Price Rd, Loveland, OH 45140.

Kids are more than welcome. I can’t speak to how many will be there this year but maybe some of the younger crowd will speak up if they plan on bringing any along.