Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 26, 2018   #91
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Candy Cane bell pepper

Has several fruit tucked away under variegated foliage. Will reshoot fruit when they get larger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1343_resized.JPG (218.1 KB, 80 views)
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2018   #92
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Tasmanian Chocolate

The only CHDP plant that I am growing and what I am using as a reference plant for growth habit. All present liked the first fruit off this plant, so it will be returning again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1349_resized.JPG (249.2 KB, 81 views)
Old December 26, 2018   #93
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Woz, the Candy Cane is what I used for gluing the flowers in my PVA experiment, here's a couple of the fruit that made it through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181223_183822497-768x1024 (Medium).jpg (56.9 KB, 78 views)
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2018   #94
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Red Bomb Probably Shannon's

I went chasing Shannon's several years ago and through Patrina P I wound up with both Shannon's and one from her son that was tagged as Red Bomb Probably Shannon's. If the growth is any indication, then they are the same. Good solid plants with big long leaves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1345_resized.JPG (273.4 KB, 79 views)
Old December 26, 2018   #95
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Mcsee, they look the same as mine, although they are probably a fair bit larger. Not worried about keeping seed pure personally, indeed if I keep seed out of any of these, I would be hoping that they are crossed with the chocolate capsicums that are growing next to them.
Old December 26, 2018   #96
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Pink Thai Egg

One that did really well for me last year, producing 200+ fruit for the second pick of the season, only one week after picking 30 for the first pick. Over 1000 fruit picked in total last season. It was a no-brainer that it was making a return this season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1342_resized.JPG (242.7 KB, 83 views)
Old December 31, 2018   #97
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Duncan's Update

These were supposed to be a large red pear tomato, but are showing a variety of shapes from what I hear from Mcsee. Mine is more like San Manzano, same fruit as earlier. Gentle breeze blowing when I took the photo if its a bit fuzzy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1425_resized.JPG (129.4 KB, 62 views)
Old December 31, 2018   #98
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Adelaide green and Adelaide black

One occasionally gets a plesent surprise when at the local green grocers, in this case it more variety in the range of tomatoes than is normally the case in this region. Outside the mixed punnets of Cherry tomatoes, we rarely see anything other than reds. On this occasion I came across some GWR beefsteaks and some reasonablely sized black tomatoes. Both eat Ok, especially for commercial tomatoes and will be making an appearance in the garden of Woz next year. I have saved seed as Adelaide green and Adelaide black for my own reference while awaiting the resumption of normal trade after the Christmas / New Year period when the green grocers will try to get the varietial names for me. Boards are 4 inches wide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1411_resized.JPG (166.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 11222018175115.jpg (44.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 11222018175138.jpg (38.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 11222018175049.jpg (46.9 KB, 61 views)
Old December 31, 2018   #99
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet Potato

One advantage of our winter moderate climate is that when one gathers up the old sweet potato tops and adds them to the compost bin without mulching, they will regrow. These would most likely be Beaurgard (spelling?) as it is the main one we grew last year. Bins are made from double pallets, roughly 7 feet square, about 4 feet deep and this one was full when I stopped adding to it
Intend to strike cuttings from tips once I get the soil beds cleaned up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1428_resized.JPG (231.4 KB, 62 views)
Old December 31, 2018   #100
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Whwoz, I know Geoffrey who lives in Victoria does cold treatment with his plants, and he consistently gets fruit starting by the end of October. Have you spoken with him?
The cold treatment method is here in a thread.
I am loving your photos, and I want to thank you for bagging your seeds. I am growing a not Barry's Crazy Cherry, it's not multiflora, and the fruit are red. It was a trade. I might pester you for a few bagged seeds to get the real one.
I am loving your photos,I have started a photo thread too.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018   #101
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, have contacted Geoffrey once or twice and I am aware of his early success. For a long time I had no seed of, indeed was not aware of the true early tomatoes, and Geoffrey sent some of them to me.
With me ripping my leg open, my plants went into the ground 3 or 4 weeks later than they should have (should have planted them rather than gone fishing) and they are where I expect them to be allowing for that time delay.
Glad you are enjoying the photos and I have been enjoying yours as well.
Barry's Crazy Cherry seed is yours assuming it is true, first year I have grown it.
Have started bagging blossom as my plants are growing closer together than what you grow yours, if I am a bit slow at tying them up the branches can intermingle and with the large increase in the number of varieties I am growing this year, it is the only way to ensure purity
Old December 31, 2018   #102
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
Marsha, have contacted Geoffrey once or twice and I am aware of his early success. For a long time I had no seed of, indeed was not aware of the true early tomatoes, and Geoffrey sent some of them to me.
With me ripping my leg open, my plants went into the ground 3 or 4 weeks later than they should have (should have planted them rather than gone fishing) and they are where I expect them to be allowing for that time delay.
Glad you are enjoying the photos and I have been enjoying yours as well.
Barry's Crazy Cherry seed is yours assuming it is true, first year I have grown it.
Have started bagging blossom as my plants are growing closer together than what you grow yours, if I am a bit slow at tying them up the branches can intermingle and with the large increase in the number of varieties I am growing this year, it is the only way to ensure purity
Thank you, that's awesome. I feel so bad about your awful leg accident. I am glad you are on the mend. Geoff is very generous as are you.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018   #103
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, no need to feel bad about the leg, a moment of carelessness on my part on the boat that I paid for. Fortunately my pain tolerance is good so I did not need painkillers, apart from the local when they put on the initial 24 stitches. Nearly fully healed and will post a photo when fully healed.
There are a lot of generous people on here, whether it is with their time, seed or information, it does not matter, the community benefits overall
Old January 1, 2019   #104
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default GMG

I was fortunate enough to be given two plants of this beauty by Mcsee and they are planted in the best soil in the vegetable garden
They are both pushing 1m high and are difficult to separate on growth. Both plants are wearing two bags and have some early fruit on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1439_resized.JPG (102.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1438_resized.JPG (182.4 KB, 38 views)
Old January 1, 2019   #105
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Krimm

I suspect that we have several variations growing under this name in this country, plants grown a number of years ago were tall, relatively sparce and produced ribbed fruit. This years plant is compact, dense and producing smooth, flattish fruit, as did the plant I saved seed from, typically 300 grams weight or heavier
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1432_resized.JPG (180.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1433_resized.JPG (99.7 KB, 37 views)