Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old September 21, 2019   #16
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Ah, the many ways to enjoy eggplant. I love the new pickled eggplant recipe I found. It's pretty basic, involves red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano and olive oil and is a refrigerator pickle. Pretty mild and oh so tasty, especially for garlic lovers. It's dynamite on grilled homemade bread. I posted the recipe in the Cookbook forum under Okra and Eggplant :
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25663

The jar I have going now is almost empty to it's time to make more.

That recipe sounds good! I suspect, as much as I love garlic, I may up the garlic a bit, LOL. I wonder if some tender whole green onions could also be included with the eggplant??
Old September 23, 2019   #17
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

How big do these fruits usually get?

After much searching I managed to find out the original name of this as sold in Japan. It is ナス 長者 ('senior person' according to google). The seeds are actually more expensive there unfortunately.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019   #18
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

The 'Millionaire' are generally 7-8" long and about 2-2.5" wide at the beginning of the season. Once the heat of summer hits, they get progressively smaller. Right now they're about 5" long before they start losing their gloss.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019   #19
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I dehydrate plain eggplant and use it in stews, etc. during the winter. It's great in curry!

Linda

Do you peel it before dehydrating it? Some have pretty tough skins.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2019   #20
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Baba Ganoush Has been mentioned once in this thread. I feel it needs a little more exposure as one of the reasons egg plant exists. It is a very easy, very tasty eggplant dip made with baked or grilled eggplant, tahini; and a few spices. I love middle eastern dips like Hummus and Baba Ganoush. I can easily make a meal out of them with a few chips for dipping. I lost fifty lbs. a few years ago eating enough hummus to make me never look a chick pea in the eye again.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2019   #21
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
What does one do with eggplant?
Steam eggplant, puree it, and freeze in small containers -- makes a GREAT tomato paste substitute! (Really! I was skeptical when I first heard about this, but, it's true, it's a great way to grow your own tomato paste without all the careful simmering of paste tomatoes for hours and hours...
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2019   #22
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Steam eggplant, puree it, and freeze in small containers -- makes a GREAT tomato paste substitute! (Really! I was skeptical when I first heard about this, but, it's true, it's a great way to grow your own tomato paste without all the careful simmering of paste tomatoes for hours and hours...
Wow! Thanks for that! I will have to do a small trial run. Tomorrow I'm going to fry for lunch what I picked this morning but the others coming on will get "pasted".
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2019   #23
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Here's a fairly simple recipe which is one of the top things one can do with eggplant: http://www.ilboccatv.com/ricetta/melanzane-a-funghetto/
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2019   #24
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Just watched this latest from Marion’s Kitchen, a Thai/Australian woman’s Asian cooking channel in YouTube. https://youtu.be/3V0S_O-gFlk. (Sichuan eggplant with spicy pork)
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2019   #25
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Do you peel it before dehydrating it? Some have pretty tough skins.
No, I don't peel them. I pick them when they are ripe, but not over-ripe and the skins aren't tough. If they are black, they should be a shiny black, not brown to be at their peak.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2019   #26
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Now you tell me! I let my eggplant get away from me this year and they're all over now . Something to try next year .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote