Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 27, 2019   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Almost time!

As the new year approaches I'll need to get things ready for starting my pepper & tomato seeds, potting mix and lights. I'm thinking starting my pepper seeds by the 1st week of Feb. that should allow them time to fill out a bit before I put them in my grow bags outdoors. I was very happy with my Jimmy Nardello & North Star peppers. I'll again go with Jet Star & Better Boy for my slicer variety and Sweet 100 & Tiny Tim for salad tomatoes. Gotta plant some cukes and I may even try some acorn squash this year. And can anyone tell me what kale seeds they would try in a 5gal grow bag? Could you give me an idea of how many kale plants to plant per grow bag? Thanks for any advice when it comes to kale, never tried doing kale in a grow bag.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2019   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Middle of January is when I start things off with onion and shallot seeds. It'll be here before I know it! Middle of February I start eggplant, peppers and hardy/woody herbs. March is tomato, lettuce, leafy herbs and kale. The beans, cucumbers and zucchini all get direct seeded.

Kale plants grow quite tall and need lots of room. I've always grown it in ground with at least one foot spacing. I'd say one plant per five gallon bag. The two main types are Tuscan/Dinosour and curly leaf varieties. For cooking and salads I prefer the Tuscans varieties. I grow the curly leaf types (Siberian) for my husband who adds kale to his breakfast shakes.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2019   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

There are also non-frilly types of kale. I prefer those because when aphids attack there aren't all the nooks and crannies to hide in as there are with the frilly kales. I grow one called Premier whose leaves are rather flat. It has taken temps down to the upper 20's without problem but probably wouldn't take as much cold as Siberian. Premier isn't a tall kale like the Tuscan but is more wide.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2019   #4
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Jan 1 is my start date. Dusting off my seed starting supplies today.
Old December 30, 2019   #5
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Middle of January is when I start things off with onion and shallot seeds. It'll be here before I know it! Middle of February I start eggplant, peppers and hardy/woody herbs. March is tomato, lettuce, leafy herbs and kale. The beans, cucumbers and zucchini all get direct seeded.

Kale plants grow quite tall and need lots of room. I've always grown it in ground with at least one foot spacing. I'd say one plant per five gallon bag. The two main types are Tuscan/Dinosour and curly leaf varieties. For cooking and salads I prefer the Tuscans varieties. I grow the curly leaf types (Siberian) for my husband who adds kale to his breakfast shakes.
Maybe I should start my onion seed a few weeks before you. I've never started any indoors before. I bought Tropeana Lunga to try.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2019   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Maybe I should start my onion seed a few weeks before you. I've never started any indoors before. I bought Tropeana Lunga to try.
My goal is to get them large enough by the time they go out that the don't "get lost." And giving them regular haircuts makes for nice and stocky seedling instead of thin and spindly ones. Once they've started to flop over they get their first haircut, and from there I keep them trimmed down to about 2-3 inches until they get planted out.
Old December 30, 2019   #7
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
My goal is to get them large enough by the time they go out that the don't "get lost." And giving them regular haircuts makes for nice and stocky seedling instead of thin and spindly ones. Once they've started to flop over they get their first haircut, and from there I keep them trimmed down to about 2-3 inches until they get planted out.
Thanks for the tip.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2019   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

You're welcome. I hope they do well for you. I've grown both the long and round Tropea onions and they grew very well for me. The only downside is that they are not storage onions so have a plan for using them as they mature.

Last year I grew Ailsa Craig and Walla Walla specifically for use in tomato and onion salads. They are also not storage onions so I left them in the ground and only pulled them as I needed them which worked well. The ones left at the end of the season were all pulled and turned into sweet onion jam.