Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 6, 2019   #286
PlainJane

That’s a serious weeder!
Old January 7, 2019   #287
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

This is one of my most important garden tools, a broadfork that I call The Beast.
It's about 25 lbs, heavy steel with 16" long tines.

Since I bought The Beast about five or more years ago, I've run the tiller through the raised beds a whole lot less. It reaches way down and when rocked back it brings up any roots that have crept in from the grapes and crapes. The soil gets loosened without major disruption. I can't remember where I mail-ordered it from. Some place like Peaceful valley or some garden tool company. Best garden tool I own!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2019   #288
taboule
Tomatovillian™

That thing looks mean, a beast indeed.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2019   #289
PlainJane

I almost bought one of those a few years back ... they are amazing.
Old January 7, 2019   #290
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
I almost bought one of those a few years back ... they are amazing.
What are they called if I google it? Broad fork?

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2019   #291
PlainJane

Yes ... broadfork. Johnny’s has a bunch ...
Old January 8, 2019   #292
imp
Tomatovillian™

I bought some smaller puck type lights, USB rechargeable, from Amazon a year or more back They are holding well, motion activated and use them for emergency and bathroom night time lights. A charge last 3 to 5 days in the loo, and they recharge really fast Very happy with them.
Old January 8, 2019   #293
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Cosori Air Fryer. Bought it from Amazon thinking that it would not be too useful, but was quite wrong. There are lots of oil-fried recipes that do well in the air fryer, allowing me to save calories. This is one of the more "space-efficient" models that I found while doing research on them. These are generally quite a bit faster than using a regular oven + provides the tasty "crunch" that I like.

Last edited by Greatgardens; January 8, 2019 at 06:01 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2019   #294
MdTNGrdner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
This is one of my most important garden tools, a broadfork that I call The Beast.
It's about 25 lbs, heavy steel with 16" long tines.

Since I bought The Beast about five or more years ago, I've run the tiller through the raised beds a whole lot less. It reaches way down and when rocked back it brings up any roots that have crept in from the grapes and crapes. The soil gets loosened without major disruption. I can't remember where I mail-ordered it from. Some place like Peaceful valley or some garden tool company. Best garden tool I own!

GoDawgs, agreed!

We have the Meadow Creature Tall Broadfork (14" tines) and love it; between this, two shovels, and "lasagna" layering, we've made our gardens from the pasture that is our backyard. It's the closest thing to tilling that we do, although the soil is not really turned. Instead of no-till I call it low-till. It's great for bringing rocks up, feels as if it will last for generations, and the worms love the effects! And it's so much fun to use

Here's another item that I really appreciate: https://hosstools.com/product/push-pull-hoe/