Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old June 2, 2008   #1
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Default All Toms in the Ground

I finally got all of my plants in the ground last week and finished all caging and mulching this week. I just hope its fast enough for our event.

I figure that many of mine had petered out before last years event. I am hoping that I have many of them at their peak this year.

How is everyone else faring?

Greg
Old June 2, 2008   #2
beck3465
Tomatovillian™

On the Texas Gulf Coast on Bolivar Peninsula I'm beginning to pick blushing tomatos...I have 32 plants and all are doing great. The neighbors are being so nice and friendly...they want their share!!! LOL. I LOVE MY GARDEN!!!!
Becky
Old June 2, 2008   #3
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Becky,

You need two homes. One here and one in Texas. That way you can start new ones here while you harvest your Texas crop :-)

Greg
Old June 3, 2008   #4
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Mine are all in the ground, but the ones I've grown from seed are all very disappointingly sickly and puny this year. The ones that made it are Sungold, Black Cherry, Church, Cherokee Chocolate, Stupice (barely!), Olena Ukrainian, Lemon Boy, and Sprite. I also have a big healthy Brandywine and a big healthy Mortgage Lifter that I bought at my local ALDI, but I don't know exactly which Brandywine or Mortgage Lifter they are. The Brandy is potato-leafed, though.

I'm hoping that once the weather gets back to "normal" for Maryland, my toms will start behaving as they usually do.
Old June 3, 2008   #5
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

Mine went in late as well but no matter they are in now so we shall see come August 16th! I don't think they would have done much growing in the cold wet weather we had anyway. I am embarassed to say how many I have planted this year - 50 - and now I need to go buy some more poles for staking. I don't think I have one determinate in the garden now that I think of it, only 2 on the deck in containers.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and new faces too!

-Kim
Old June 7, 2008   #6
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cecilia and Bluekat,

Good to hear that everyone else in my shoes too. I think the weather has been a little wet and dark. After a week in the ground all the plants are shaping up well.

The storm seems to have been a problem for Montgomery County schools (they closed) but it didn't effect my plants. I was in VA a the time so I am a bit suprised. Did you folks get in any trouble there?

Greg
Old June 8, 2008   #7
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

I got high winds and hail yesterday in a small freak storm and last week was hard rain and high winds. All that coupled with 90+ heat now. Poor tomato plants. I know I lost one but there is a backup of another variety waiting for me to plant him - not in this heat!
Old June 9, 2008   #8
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

A few of my smaller plants just withered and died in the 90+ degree heat over the weekend - I replaced them with Brandywines from ALDI that were marked down to $1.99 a plant. The Sungold and Black Cherry plants are looking great, though.
Old June 10, 2008   #9
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I got everything planted on 05/14...will have to take a couple of pics and post them here.

Take care...
Old June 26, 2008   #10
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Fruit Set!

I now have fruit set on over half my plants. The deer have had a few bites but I put up some deer net and that should do it.

I think the stars are aligned right for a good crop for our event. Hopefully some new ones that no one has tried yet.

Greg
Old June 26, 2008   #11
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Lucky you! I've got blossoms on my larger plants, but nothing on the smaller ones.

I ALMOST have an eggplant, though.
Old July 14, 2008   #12
gflynn
MAGTAG™

We picked our first Sungold this week and the Black Cherry are starting to turn color. Many of the large ones are full size.

Unfortunately my Taxi looks like a cross. I don't think I will have these this year. However, I will grow out the seeds for next year and see what I get!

Greg
Old July 14, 2008   #13
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

I'm so jealous! I have some green Sungolds, Brandywines, German Red Strawberries, and Mortgage Lifters, and (except for Sungold) they look like they're going to be big'uns! I hope this bodes well and my harvest is in full swing by Aug 16 ... WHICH IS JUST OVER ONE MONTH AWAY!
Old July 15, 2008   #14
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

I was just thinking the same thing Cecilia, only a month now! Will they be ripe in time? Which ones? I need to get down there and tie them up I know that! I have eaten a few Sungolds already.

-Kim
Old July 15, 2008   #15
Patapsco Mike
Tomatovillian™

I'm right uphill of Ellicott City, and so far I've picked one or two each of Black Krim, Kellogg's Breakfast, Brandywine Suddeth, JD's Special C-Tex, and (dozens of) Black Cherries. The only ones I'm not picking are my Mortgage Lifters, Black from Tula, and Cherokee Purples. All have been very tasty so far, but wow the Brandywine's are really something special.

I put my tomatoes in earlier than I should have (April 16), they were over a foot tall when I planted them, and they are in raised beds growing in 50% horse manure, 25% peat moss and 25% vermiculite. I think this is why they are ahead of schedule.