Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old April 17, 2016   #1
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Default Hazzar Seeds - Any opinion?

I meant Hazzard Seeds. Not Hazzar. Not sure how to edit the title.

Starting to create a mental list of some seeds I want to order for next year. They have some excellent prices, not to mention an excellent selection.

Just curious if anyone has ordered from them, before I make the splurge.

Last edited by FourOaks; April 17, 2016 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Doh!
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #2
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I have ordered from them and the service is excellent. I have met Mrs Hazzard when she was getting out of the greenhouse growing business and was selling out some things. Nice lady.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #3
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! So, I was under the pretense that they are family owned? Did they sell out?
Old April 18, 2016   #4
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

The business is family owned. While I don't know for sure, I think she gets her seeds through other suppliers and packages them for sale. I only say this because she lives in an extremely small town in the middle of nowhere in Michigan. I think she is sort of a broker.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #5
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Got it.

I appreciate your input. I could easily spend several hundred dollars on seed.. Just want to make sure all is on the up and up. I have had the site bookmarked for a couple years at least. Just never ordered from them.
Old April 18, 2016   #6
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I ordered from them, and will order again. The service was good and fast, and the seeds were good quality.
Carrie
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #7
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I've ordered pepper seed from them for several years with excellent results until this year. I planted 3 varieties but only Super Chili has given normal germination. I give a qualified recommendation, excellent results for several years, but slow or no germination of seed purchased this year. I don't yet know what is wrong, but will be germination testing all the seed I have from them to ensure it is viable.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #8
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
I've ordered pepper seed from them for several years with excellent results until this year. I planted 3 varieties but only Super Chili has given normal germination. I give a qualified recommendation, excellent results for several years, but slow or no germination of seed purchased this year. I don't yet know what is wrong, but will be germination testing all the seed I have from them to ensure it is viable.
I think its hit or miss. Lets be honest, most vendors are seed brokers. They repackage and resale. Not too many folks have the space or ability to grow out thousands and thousands of varieties, then collect the seeds, etc.

Some seeds I received this year from another vendor I had similar results with. Extremely poor germination. Like I said. Hit or miss.
Old April 19, 2016   #9
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post
I think its hit or miss. Lets be honest, most vendors are seed brokers. They repackage and resale. Not too many folks have the space or ability to grow out thousands and thousands of varieties, then collect the seeds, etc.
This may be true as a general rule, but many of the small vendors here on TV grow many of the seeds they sell especially the tomatoes. Myself (Sample Seed Shop,) Tatiana (TOMATObase,) Fred (Artisan Seed,) Carol (Knapp's,) Terry (Secret Seed Cartel,) Steve (Heritage,) Steve W. (Double Helix,) Lee (J&L Gardens,) Mike (Ohio Heirlooms,) Jeff (Casey's Heirlooms,) Chance (Two Seeds in a Pod) all actually grow and collect seed. Also not a member but sells seeds they grow-Sand Hill Preservation.
If I forgot anyone, I did it by mistake!
Anyway, when it comes to buying tomato seeds, we have a great group of growers here to choose from.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #10
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
This may be true as a general rule, but many of the small vendors here on TV grow many of the seeds they sell especially the tomatoes. Myself (Sample Seed Shop,) Tatiana (TOMATObase,) Fred (Artisan Seed,) Carol (Knapp's,) Terry (Secret Seed Cartel,) Steve (Heritage,) Steve W. (Double Helix,) Lee (J&L Gardens,) Mike (Ohio Heirlooms,) Jeff (Casey's Heirlooms,) Chance (Two Seeds in a Pod) all actually grow and collect seed. Also not a member but sells seeds they grow-Sand Hill Preservation.
If I forgot anyone, I did it by mistake!
Anyway, when it comes to buying tomato seeds, we have a great group of growers here to choose from.
Remy
I think a misunderstanding needs clarified. I was only referring to the large vendors, who repackage and resale. Thats all.

I realize that several members here save seed, and resale. Unfortunately for me and my business, Hybrid is the choice for the vast majority of customers. There are certainly exceptions too this.

Just last year I started saving seed myself, not from Tomatoes but Super Hot Peppers. As expected, some were duds.
Old April 20, 2016   #11
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post
I think a misunderstanding needs clarified. I was only referring to the large vendors, who repackage and resale. Thats all.

I realize that several members here save seed, and resale. Unfortunately for me and my business, Hybrid is the choice for the vast majority of customers. There are certainly exceptions too this.

Just last year I started saving seed myself, not from Tomatoes but Super Hot Peppers. As expected, some were duds.
Many people will read this thread, and I wanted clarification for the many newbies who will pass through for all to know that you can get seeds from growers. The smaller grower vendors are usually the places to find the more unusual items and even develop a relationship with. I had only done a quick glance at Hazzard's tomatoes and they sell many OP/Heirlooms so one could think they are growing them (and maybe they are for some of them?)
Hybrids by any company of course are bought wholesale and resold. I carry Sungold f1 because so many people want it and that must be purchased wholesale. There is nothing inherently wrong with buy from a company that is a reseller only. As long as they keep fresh stock and don't advertise that they grow when they don't, all is good.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote