Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 20, 2007   #31
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Just got my TGS catalog, a few days after receiving my order. The TGS catalog is a thing of beauty. Eye-popping accurate color. Straightforward, clean, easy-to-read design. Wow!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2007   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have no idea if I have anything at the post office.
I haven't checked in two weeks.
My second garden is on the way to the post office and I was going to check today but I cant find my Po box key.

The wife has been given instructions to check today after work.

I hope my seeds get here soon I want to plant seeds.
Not that I don't already have enough seeds to get started.

Ill be glad when Christmas is over so they can put out the gardening stuff.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2007   #33
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I got my TGS catalog two days ago. I had to sit right down and read through it.

Good ole USPS mangled it, though. The front cover was half ripped off (the ripped half was attached with one piece of tape) and half of the first page was also ripped off and was not attached.

Baker Creek came today. It looks nice but I hate being preached at.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2007   #34
troad
Tomatovillian™

Default TGS catalog

Received my TGS catalog yesterday. Was great to get pictures of the tomatoes I ordered the day before yesterday
. Timing is everything. Hope to get some.
Old December 19, 2012   #35
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

Worth.....several years late, but I totally agree with you. Most garden sections take the
hit for Christmas decorations, gift wrap, etc. Even common things like tomato cages are
not available.

BTW, Worth, I am one of many that misses your posts and wish you would recant on your
decision over a relatively minor issue that was 90% misunderstanding. You added a flair that
made the board more fun, so........Worth.....come home!! Many others thought it, so I said
it for them!
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2012   #36
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
Worth.....several years late, but I totally agree with you. Most garden sections take the
hit for Christmas decorations, gift wrap, etc. Even common things like tomato cages are
not available.

BTW, Worth, I am one of many that misses your posts and wish you would recant on your
decision over a relatively minor issue that was 90% misunderstanding. You added a flair that
made the board more fun, so........Worth.....come home!! Many others thought it, so I said
it for them!
Funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing a few hours ago. But decided Worth is just the sort of good hearted ornery ol' cuss, that he will come back on his own terms, when he is good and ready.

But a lot of people, including myself, would prefer to see that sooner, rather than later. I miss the dark humor in his posts. More than once he had me all most falling out of my seat!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2012   #37
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
it for them!
I don't have a clue what happened to make Worth decide to leave, nor do I care to know. But I want to thank Alpinejs for stating what I'm sure many of us are thinking--we miss you Worth!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2013   #38
grodematers
Tomatovillian™

A+++ company right here folks.
grodematers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2013   #39
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

I placed an order at TGS for the first time a few days ago. Got my seeds yesterday and was so impressed by the detailed descriptions on the seed packets that I had to comment about it here. The variety descriptions make them the best packaging I've seen.

We'll find out how well the tomatoes germinate when I start them in February.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2013   #40
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Irv.
I have ordered many hundreds of seeds from TGS and have never had a problem.

They sell a good product.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2013   #41
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I really like their selection of pepper seeds.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2013   #42
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I really like their selection of pepper seeds.
Yes!

For 2014 I ordered

(~sweet peppers)
BETTER BELLE II HYBRID
CORNO VERDE HYBRID
CORNO DI TORO (YELLOW)
CORNO DI TORO (RED)
EARLY SUNSATION HYBRID
GIANT ACONCAGUA
GIANT SZEGEDI
SOCRATES X3R HYBRID

(~hot peppers)
ANCHO SAN MARTIN HYBRID
BULGARIAN CARROT
CHICHEN ITZA HYBRID
GUAJILLO
HUNGARIAN WAX
NUMEX SUAVE ORANGE
PURPLE SERRANO
SAHUARO HYBRID
Old January 1, 2014   #43
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Nice catalog!!

Never a problem with them.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2014   #44
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I've known Linda Sapp, who owns TGS, since about 1990 and she's one of the most honest persons in the commercial business that I know of.

Originally she and her husband Vince, a lawyer, ran the company, in his spare time he'd read here and elsewhere looking for new interesting varieties, and they always were SSE members as well.

One day she was at her desk in the building where TGS is located, and got a kind of mumbled call from Vince, raced to his office elsewhere and found him slumped over in his chair and he had already passed away of a heart attack.

It was really rough for her to keep going after that, but she did and continues to do so.

We had a great phone chat last week, you know, tomato gossip and all that, as we do from time to time. I'd called to ask for a couple of copies of the catalog, as I do every year, just for reference. I'm one who cannot stand to look at websites. And when she said she finally decided to sell the carton of my books at the original price, I posted that here since there are only 12 copies/carton.

All of which reminds me to get some seeds of a few varieties together to send to her for trial, as I do every year.Perhaps this post is out of line, I hope not, but knowing Linda for all these years I just wanted to comment about what a wonderful woman she is, and yes, she does speak with a slight southern accent, since she was raised in the southm but not in FL.

Carolyn, who notes that in the tomato seed business the only two others she's known longer than Linda are Glenn Drowns of Sandhill Preservation and Jeff MCCormack, who use to own SESE but sold it and now owns Garden Medicinals. All three should be models for others in the seed business as I see it. And indeed there are a few commercial sites out there now that IMO hold to the same ethics that she and Glenn and Jeff hold to. I should also add Glecklers to the way back list since I knew Adam's father
before he stopped his catalog so I was glad to see Adam take over, but it's been hard for him since he works full time for the family concrete business.
Old January 1, 2014   #45
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Hermatian, just for your information...those Giant Szegedi's are not giant. I have never had them grow to more than a small bell sized pepper. I grow them because my MIL likes them for stuffing. On occasion I get a nice sized pepper, but not many. Maybe it is just the weather we have had for the last several years, but giant is not a description that I would apply to it.