Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 23, 2018   #1
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed Savers Exchange

I have never seen SSE seeds sold in a commercial setting before. These were at Maas Nursery on Todville Road in Seabrook, Texas. They were advertised as open-pollinated and non-GMO.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1115181121.jpg (294.3 KB, 194 views)
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Donna, I have never seen racks of SSE seeds either,but then I don't get around much anymore,like out of my Home.

But I am not surprised at all. I'm a lifetime member of SSE as I think you already know, get the Annual Yearbooks and can see where membership is dropping in the chart they show.I also receive the four magazines from Heritage Farms each year.

They have tried everything under the sun
to ramp up membership ,I won't got into detail on that. I also receive the numerous e-mails asking for money donations to SSE. I think it was just a week or two ago I got an e-mail saying that I had been a long time member and they would appreciate any donations that I wished to make.

What I am thankful for is that Kent and Diane started SSE and b'c of that the number of varieties of everything,not just tomatoes,has had a huge impact on what we have today at MANY commercial seed sites. Many members joined SSE , ,I mean ones from other countries,and that helped increase the diversity of many kinds of seed,that's good as well.

But I speak mainly in the past tense now as to non US members.

But I fear that the glory days of SSE are over,just my own opinion from being a member since I think 1988 or 1989.

Lastly,what I treasure most are the many friends I first met via SSE and many of them still are friends.

Carolyn
Old November 23, 2018   #3
oldman
Tomatovillian™

I've not seen a display like that before either. I'm not sure if I would call it "SSE seed". My guess would be (based on the varieties pictured and how retail works) that SSE is licensing their brand rather than packaging their own seed. It would let them generate revenue from casual gardeners and encourage membership by more serious growers who want the rarer varieties they can't get "off the rack".

I don't think SSE is suffering because of anything they're doing wrong. It's just that they're dealing with a generation (or several generations) of people who are happiest with their food when it involves the least amonnt of effort. GrubHub and Doritos are convenient. They leave time for Instagram and Facebook so people can discuss TV shows and rant about how bad their day was.

Given that I didn't see a single honeybee all year I'm skeptical about the future of agriculture, never mind SSE.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2018   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

There are two retail outlets in Omaha that have sold SSE as pictured above; Paradigm Gardens (a hydro type) which carries the entire line, and Lanoha Nursery which has about 6 racks like the one pictured above. Guess I'm lucky that I an drive a few minutes and oogle over the available wares!

I just remembered another store here; Mulhalls joined the party this past year. I bought out the rat tailed radish from them but some varment ate the seeds. Think I still have a pack left.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2018   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I think I may have almost solved the Problem.

Kent Whealeys son Aaron moved to WI and opened his own seed site,he changed that name back to Whaley as it originally was.

There were two places I know of that were sending seeds to Aaron for commercial production, well actually more than that since Fred Hemple ( Artisan Seeds) and some other breeders were also doing that a swell.

Aaron was also producing seeds for SSE,that I know.

So when you see SSE seeds on a rack I'm thinking that they might well have been produced and packaged by Aaron's company,which is

https://awhaley.com/

See what you think.

Carolyn
Old November 23, 2018   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I'll take pictures of the back of the seed packages so you can have more information. I have to dig thru several boxes so don't stay up waiting!

- Lisa
Old November 24, 2018   #7
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I can't find my last copy of the SSE catalog, but it seems that I remember them selling these types of seed displays to gift shops, etc...and for use by organizations in fundraising. I'll try to confirm that if I can find the catalog...

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2018   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodloe View Post
I can't find my last copy of the SSE catalog, but it seems that I remember them selling these types of seed displays to gift shops, etc...and for use by organizations in fundraising. I'll try to confirm that if I can find the catalog...
You refer to an SSE catalog which is very different from the Annual Yearbook. Anyone anywhere can request the catalog and they don't have to be a member.

This year I don't think I got a paper catalog but I did get an e-mail version of it sent to me by e-mail. I think that happened maybe twice before but I don't read it since it is far too difficult, trying to go from page to page.

I have the 2018 Annual Yearbook right here next to me and saw zero about seed racks.

But I'm confident that someone here will solve this issue.

Carolyn
Old November 24, 2018   #9
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

Donna, on the website you can “find a retail supplier near you” looks like there is quite a few.

I became a member of SSE recently.

Old man has some truth in what he says. This generation doesn’t have the same ties as previous generations had to food. Being someone like myself, who is 33, and not finding people my age that is involved into this is hard as well. It’s hard being the odd duck.

I find also there is a big divide between older generation gardeners and the newer ones. Not sure why, but it’s hard when people don’t want to give you the time of day. New generation needs to be mentored, or these varieties will be lost.
Old November 25, 2018   #10
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

This place sells Seed Savers:
https://www.jesusreignsusa.com/colle...avers-exchange
Quick service and free shipping, btw.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2018   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

If you look on their website, any retailer can arrange to display and sell their seeds as per the first photo.
Here’s the link to a form to request to retail their seeds.
https://www.seedsavers.org/seed-rack...089.1543075809
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2018   #12
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Here is the photo of new and old style packaging:

Another source without an added shipping charge on 2 or more packs is paradigmgardens.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6390.jpg (382.9 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6391.jpg (395.1 KB, 123 views)
Old November 25, 2018   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

What I see is seed packs sold by SSE.

What I don't see is where they got the seeds from, but as I posted above I didn't expect to see that.

Anyone who thinks that SSE itself grows and processes seeds and has equipment to fill packs with the right # of seeds and to automatically seal the seed packs and then sell them, well,maybe it's just me, but I don't believe that.

But I know that Aaron Whaley does have that kind of equipment and that based on the feedback from initially Linda Sapp at TGS as well as Fred Hemple, etc.

Ah well,

Carolyn
Old November 26, 2018   #14
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

A local grower near here supplies a different major seed vendor with two products, one tomato and one pepper. There are other growers supplying this vendor with the two varieties as a back up. They are strictly regulated as to what else and where they can grow, but it didn't seem fool proof to me. The isolation distance for the peppers was quite close considering other growers in the area. I will leave it to the experts though.

- Lisa
Old November 26, 2018   #15
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Thing I don't like about SSE is they don't add new varieties very often. A lot of the same old same
old. They need to liven it up!
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote