Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old April 5, 2017   #1
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default ATT and new 1 gig installations.

This is a cut from a Cnet March 24th article re: the 1 gig monster coming our/your way.I am waiting for Comcast to finalze it in my neighborhood.Anyone have it here on Tville?

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/A...Markets-139221

The latest move includes launching or expanding service in parts of Birmingham, Ala.; Charleston and Colombia, S.C.; Chicago; Greensboro, N.C.; Huntsville and Mobile, Ala.; Houston; Indianapolis; Kansas City, Mo.; Little Rock, Ark.; Los Angeles (Jurupa, Los Angeles and Orange County), San Diego and Sacramento, Calif.; Memphis, Tenn.; New Orleans; and St. Louis
Old April 5, 2017   #2
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

AT&T claims to have it here, but the "last mile" delivery is via wi-fi, which is shared. Plus they data-cap. Nevertheless, they're supposedly cheaper than Comcast so I will probably try them.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #3
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

If you have a apple or android mobile device, try the Puffin browser for kicks. Its a little quirky at times, but it will be much faster. I use it mainly for mhelpdesk, a mobile field service software for my work.

I just did a bing speed test with chrome browser (on the verizon 4g) and got 46 mbs down and 38 mbs up. With the puffin brower I got 435 mbs down and 168 mbs up and have seen speeds as high as 700mbs down.
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017   #4
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

I would love 1G service. I am with Comcast now and I'm happy, but that speed would be great. Right now I'm getting download speeds of 90 and upload speeds of 12 for $50 per month.

Are they using the fiber optic cable or copper to deliver those speeds?
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2017   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I get to travel somewhat and ask those questions.I pulled over and ask one of those techs at the "box"(AT&T )what's up ? The fastest in our place in Cutler Bay(C Ridge at one time)is the orange fiber optic by Comcast.Some AT&T equipment is wired with a fiber but not direct to homes as Comcast in our hood.They are pushing the recently bought Dish.You can get double copper from a fiber to home from AT&T or dish or as neighbor did,his own installed (digital antennae),he says he saves some bucks for the channels he needs for wifey and him only.I still keep a copper landline number,in case the grid goes down,I can call home from afar,if answering machine comes on ,we have power.So All of us are awaiting for that GIGO UNO,so we can compete with he rest of the world since they have been enjoying One Gig for years now.Plus we still keep our CBs handy.
Old April 9, 2017   #6
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

IMO if you have an internet provider that offers fiber to the home, the decision should be automatic. I recently had 100x100mbps fiber service installed at my office and it's incredible. We just couldn't justify the $700/mo price for 1000x1000 speed. If your wondering, business internet pricing is always 4x higher then residential for absolutely no reason.

Chances are that your current internet provider offers an inferior service which is usually delivered over copper the last ~1500 ft. To save $, providers will place a fiber "node" in the middle of a neighborhood then feed 10, 20 or 100 houses from that node via existing/old copper lines. Download speeds can be relatively fast, I'm guessing up to 150mbps, upload is usually around 5-10 mbps; all for around $60/month

Provider B comes in and offers 1000mbps download, 1000mbps upload for $100/month over dedicated fiber to the home. Think of how much more bandwidth that is for a slight $40 monthly increase, almost 10x the download and 100x the upload speed. Better yet, it'susually dedicated speed, meaning at 7pm when all your neighbors are home from work/school and streaming netflix, your speed is unaffected.

What I'd like to know is what happens when Provider C comes in the neighborhood and also offers fiber to the home. Would they bore a 2nd fiber line to your house? From what I've gathered, Provider B's fiber to your home is owned by them?...

In short, get fiber when you can, you wont' regret it. This movement will be like cellphones; once you have it, you will never look back. In the case of my office, the provider ran about 1000 ft. of metal conduit in the inside of the bldg, and bored about 500 ft under a parking lot, and destroyed/replaced all the landscaping surrounding a portion a new 15K seat sports arena... just to service my office, along with 2 other tenants. I'm sure the build-out cost them $30K minimum, why would they do that? Because they know, once you subscribe you will never look back. The service isn't comparible to the crappy 24 mbps download x 4 mbps upload I was previously getting. Not even close.

Last edited by pecker88; April 9, 2017 at 07:35 AM.
pecker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #7
kurt
Tomatovillian™

From what I gather the fiber now(I do not have spec)at as quoted to me as being ready for the big boy.Remember that Att owns a majority of the equipment(sattilites,the cable under the seas)the leases of use of said equipment.C companies do not build and fire up missle with the equipment on them.Eon Musk is upsetting the monopoly on the rockets.Dont know what to believe anymore IMO.

Last edited by kurt; April 9, 2017 at 11:36 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote