Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 26, 2015   #1
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Default Row Covers for insect / pest control

I've never used row covers before, but I am considering giving them a try this year to grow squash. Three pests (squash vine borer, squash bugs and cucumber beetles) make it very difficult for me to grow a variety other than butternut squash.

I'm curious as to what type of row cover other people use. I found this product doing a Google search http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...tection-fabric.

From what I have read, there seems to be two approaches to using a row cover for squash:

1. Leave the row cover on until both male and female blossoms appear, and then remove the row cover so bees can pollinate the blossoms.

2. Leave the row cover on as long as possible, and hand pollinate the blossoms.

I am interested in the experiences of people who use or know about row covers so I have a better idea as to the best product to use and the best approach when using a row cover.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2015   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Mark,
Row cover is a great protection against insects. I've seen it used with great success for several crops - carrots (to prevent rust fly) and brassicas (against cabbage moths). The previous crop rotation is key to success for those crops, because the pests can overwinter, and then when you take the cover off, they were already there!. We don't use row cover against the squash pests you mentioned because they are not a problem here. But we use row cover for warmth to get the squash started, then uncover when they begin to bloom. I suspect that the same issues apply to squash in rotation though, so step one is, choose a bed that was in a different crop the previous season and should contain no leftover pests.

As regards the weight of the row cover, heavier weights are used to protect against the cold ie for an early start, I have also seen very lightweight row cover specifically for pest control in the heat of summer, which we used on late sown parsnips and carrots. In spring you may want both warmth and insect protection. There may also be an advantage, insect-wise, to starting early so the plants are established before the pests are out and about.

The supplier will usually give a rating as to the weight of the product often the number of degrees above outdoor/unprotected temperature, and also how much light is passing through usually a percent of total. Reemay (?) is one maker of professional quality cover but there are others as good afaik. The serious suppliers will have a range of products for you to choose which weight you want, whether for warmth as well as insect control or just the bugs and maximum light.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote