Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old May 25, 2015   #1
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Getting Ready for Season #2

Hi friends- Here in Phx, we are about to hit 100, which is actually very late for us this year... With that said, I'm protecting my garden with shade cloth, however it can only stay protected so long. Once we hit 110- its pretty much a done deal. Anyhow, once my tomatoes start croaking, I cant decide if I should pull them out, or cut them WAY back to see if I can get another season out of the plants? I actually did this to Patio Princess in a garden bed and it came back like crazy and is literally 7 ft wide by 4 ft tall and I've probably picked close to 500+ maters already. So, if you said keep the plants, then should I amend the soil around the plants and hope for a second harvest come Sept/Oct when our temps cool down? OR- should I pull them and amend the soil BIG time and start new seeds for different maters? What would you do? I want to really be able to revitalize the soil without bothering the plants (and would like to start adding stuff now) but I don't want to bother the plants. What would you add to the soil now OR later to help revitalize it??

THANK YOU