Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 19, 2015   #1
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Default Can I add cucumber seeds if not all grew

I plant cucumber seeds in groups of three. Under some of my cages only one plant grew. Can I add more seeds at this point in time?
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #2
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I direct seeded some cuke seeds and beans, and I don't think I'll ever do that again. Much lower rate of germination. I have a much greater chance of sprouting them indoors (in some cells and seedling mix.) Instead of 1 out of 3, I got 100% germination. Once their heads pop up, I just take the outside and plant them right then and there. I usually feel motherly so I shield them a little bit for a couple of days there after.
Old June 19, 2015   #3
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

yes, i always go back and reseed cukes in the spots where the transplants died.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #4
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

I always go back and add curcubit and legume seeds. The legumes a are especially susceptible to bugs and critters when freshly sprouted so they need replaced. Even a small amount of bug damage can stunt them and they have a hard time growing full leaves so they are replaced.

I always seem to have healthier lugumes/curcubits when I direct sow. In fact they are pretty much the only ones I don't start indoors. I would attribute it to the tender roots that spread horizontally. Others may have better results starting indoors.
Rairdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I always direct sow cucurbits and beans. I do plant a few extra but I often end up thinning. A little sluggo plus helps with preventing insect/slug loss. If bids are a problem, a cage or row cover helps,too.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #6
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
I plant cucumber seeds in groups of three. Under some of my cages only one plant grew. Can I add more seeds at this point in time?
Yes.
You may want to stagger you cukes 2-3 weeks depending on what they are. My small picklers tend to fizzle out after a while even if well picked.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2015   #7
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Yes you can fill them, but I find the new ones growing among the original plants tend to get shaded out, at least if you plant as dense as I do. I have gone to a method of densely planting cukes and it seems to work well. Along my cattle panel, I sow two parallel rows, ~4" apart, in a 12" wide area along the panel and place seeds every 1". I cull weak looking ones, not all germinate and leave the rest. It works well for me.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #8
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
I would give then a new bed at this stage in time. I only grow about twelve in groups of three stated indoors and always have far too many. Zone 5.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FRPAG 23 May 2015 Planting Cucumbers
Six Cross Country Cucumber (Hybrid) seed pots were started in the greenhouse about four weeks ago and placed in the outdoor garden along a prepared trellis. There are two or three plants in each pot. This method produces cucumbers about month earlier than direct seeding in my zone. A stepping board was placed in the bed to facilitate picking without crushing the vines. The vines will be trained to climb the mesh of the trellis. This system will produce from 100 to 200 pounds of cucumbers over the growing season.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote