Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old 5 Days Ago   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Interesting raised bed issue...

I just put in 3 new raised beds, taking about 4 yards total of 'garden select' soil and 'compost' from my local landscaper supply company.

The 'garden select' soil was about 50% mulch, grrrr..., and the compost wasn't much better. Total S#%T, and I'll never get it again.

So I planted everything about 3 weeks ago, maybe 4 here in zone 7. Everything got off to a great start! Tomatoes jumped up to about 1 1/2 - 2 feet, beans, carrots, spinach, arugula, lettuce, and cukes all sprouted......

...then it all stalled! Everything stopped. Completely. It all just stopped growing. Radishes have been 1 inch tall for weeks now. Been fertilizing, watering, ect like normal.

When I took a shovel to the 'dirt', it's VERY damp! The mulch/compost mixture just isn't draining like it should. Roots most likely will rot. It's bad.

What would you guys recommend to help remedy my problem? Right now all I can think of is to rake the soil a little to get it to dry out but it's a foot deep!

Anything I can do this year? Or just wait until next year?

Thanks in advance!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #2
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I agree with letting it dry out. Would raking in some perlite help for now? So sorry this has happened to you.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

How awful! Can you dig out a few of your favourites and maybe amend one of the beds for them?
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote