Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 19, 2014   #76
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I see you use flora nova as fertilizer. About how much would you say you give weekly to each mature plant? 1 Tsp? More?
I'm trying to maximize my few container production but I'm always afraid to fertilize too much.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2014   #77
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

That depends on how much I water, and sunny versus cloudy days decides that, along with plant size, and container size. I use a continuous feed fertilizer, so it is in the water supply, mine being large plastic holding tanks to temper the water, which is just too cold here for happy plants. I had great results with a medium strength, which I think is about 700ppm, or about 2 pint mason jars full of fert. added in a 250 gallon tank I went as high as 3 and the plants looked amazing. I do not have any empty containers to look at for tablespoon type of info at the moment.
During hot spells, above 90 in the greenhouse, I had to water 2-3 times per day, so I could reduce the fertilizer since I was applying so much water.
I have settled on 10-20 gallon containers, and changed up my fertilizer applications and was shocked at the results. For instance, I have grown Early Girl for many years, my past record was 60 tomatoes from a plant, last year I pulled well over a 100 or so, from one, which added up to over 20lbs of fruit, and I slacked toewards the end. I just cannot fathom giant plants in tiny containers, I would have to water on the hour, I would certainly try a few pot sizes and see what works for you. The pics I posted really do not do much for gaging just how big the plants really were.
Good news here; I started my first batch and have little plants popping up everywhere.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2014   #78
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

If 2 pints is 1l, and let's say you use 1 gal of water per day per plant and 1Tsp is 15 ml, than the result is 2Tsp per week, so around 1/2 l per year for each plant (for a 3 months production period).
Thanks.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2014   #79
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Hey Mark, what varieties have you decided upon for 2014?
betsylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #80
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Here are a few that I have started of different colors.Sudduth's, Cowlicks, Stump of the World, Dester, Fred Limbaugh, West Virginia Straw, NAR, Brandywine (RL), Chapman, Brandywine OTV., Red Penna, Wes, Magnum, Diener, Blk Prince, Paul Robeson, Blk Krim, Green Zebra, Green Giant, Yellow Brandywine, Kentucky Beefsteak, Amana Orange, Chocolate Stripes, Bloody Butcher, Blk Cherry, Ildi.
I have some nice 8 inch starts that are looking good, almost ready for the greenhouse.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #81
Ellada Valerie
Tomatovillian™

I look at your post from the beginning, and it is amazing. I love your greenhouse. You got also a nice collection of tomatoes for 2014.
I grow plants for many reasons: to please my eye or to please my soul, to challenge the elements or to challenge my patience, for novelty or for nostalgia, but mostly for the joy in seeing them grow. David Hobson.
Ellada Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote