Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old April 2, 2014   #1
Kat222
Tomatovillian™

Default Yes, I know gardening is different in FL

and I actually prefer making paper pots and planting in them if I have a small space. (Can't do it at this time.) But I'm baffled at the poor germination of peas and beans (pretty much everything) I've experienced here. Once up, plants tend to thrive if amended with liquid chemical fertilizer (hate doing that but otherwise nada thus far); they're planted in 2" of compost layered over sand. I can see them being unhappy once their roots get through the good stuff but my germination rates are like 25% here and it's driving me bonkers. I sprinkle new beds at least 3x a day; they're not dry I don't think. Is it really that different here than in OH or MD? How do I fix the situation or can I?
Kat222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #2
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

Welcome, Kat222,

I don't know what is the problem with the legumes. Some seasons, my peas have lousy germination, but... I don't know why.

Hope you have better luck.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #3
Kat222
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I'm working on it. Arugula seeds from 2010 came up like a champ but that's an exception. Apparently knowing how to garden doesn't translate between climatic zones. Fine. I like learning and am up for a challenge. Just wish I could figure out why germination is so low in Florida. (When I can get my paper pot system going again, I suspect it will be fine.)
Old April 3, 2014   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.wikihow.com/Germinate-Peas

http://www.stonepylon.com/garden/vegplan.htm
Welcome from down in South Fl.
I tried peas and beans here and could only germinate in the cooler part of the year.
Fava beans,the Chinese Long Beans did great until it got really warm(like now).
The link above states that peas are a cool weather crop.There is a member from Lake Ocochobee that has success with cowpeas.
I have never seen sand as a good medium for plants(too much salt content in our sand here down here anyway)
Hope you work out the kinks.Good Luck.

Last edited by kurt; April 3, 2014 at 09:19 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #5
Kat222
Tomatovillian™

Heavens! I guess peas are out for me here; I fail at anything using a paper towels except sugar cane which has done great. I understand the seasons; got started late here because I wasn't where I could grow anything. Except I left pots of tomatoes, peppers and such in Jacksonville which were just about to produce; I tarped them on the 28 degree nights. Brought 1 pot with my 2 of my favorite bean plants (9 planted--ACK!) and a pepper in it with me. Pepper is blooming and I've been eating beans for a week or so.

Sand is definitely strange stuff. And Fl is also but, after freezing for many years, I love wearing shorts at Christmas even if it's just a bit too cold to do so.