Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 20, 2013   #16
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Folks,

Thanks for the suggestions. As the containers weigh over 130 pounds, it will take several people to tip them over, which seems to be the best option. I don't want to cut the stalks and pull them down through the cage as this would destroy future growth of the vines.

Happy problem to have I suppose as Dee said - but I never counted on having to do this to pick the pea pods.

Fertilizer used was 1/2 cup Epsom Salts and 2 cups Espoma Plant-tone. They were planted on October 20.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; March 20, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2013   #17
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,
For future crops you could rig up a back panel type of framed trellis support that has a couple of forward hinges at about waist level. Use a pulley to keep it upright and let it gently down the minimum needed for picking height. Lot of good that does you now.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2013   #18
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dee,

Unfortunately, the hinged backplane won't work too well. As when it would be rotated forward, most of the vines would snap off at the rotation point.

What I need to design is a giant spring-loaded reverse "mousetrap" which would be mounted underneath the EarthTainer to help counter-balance the mass of the moist grow media as it was rotated roots and all, forward at a 90 degree angle. Latching the spring mechanism would be no small task and would likely take off my arm if tripped accidently!

There is an old saying: "You can either raise the Bridge - - - or lower the Water". Along that line of thought, what I need to find for next Season are a variety of Dwarf Sugar Snap Peas which would max out at 6 feet in an EarthTainer environment.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; March 20, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old March 20, 2013   #19
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Look guys. If you are serious about having to get up there, build a scaffolding. Cinder blocks both sides plank in between. Use the small step ladder to get up to the scaffolding. It's the only safe way.

But I was only 1/2 joking about just leaving the top to dry and become either dried peas for split pea soup or seed next year.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2013   #20
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

I have the same problem with snap peas in my two earthtainers. What I've been doing is to climb a step ladder placed next to the earthtainer, and then slowly and carefully pull the vines down toward me to harvest the peas and then release the vine. They snap right back up. You just have to take your time and go slow.

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2013   #21
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Lyn,

Good to hear that its not just me.

I've just ordered a 1/2 pound bag of Dwarf Sugar Ann Snap Peas:

http://www.gurneys.com/product.asp?p...hopping_engine

As the description is that they will grow to 24 inches unsupported, I am expecting them to top out at no more than 6 feet in the EarthTainer. If you are having a difficult time picking yours, you may want to give these a try.

Raybo
Old March 20, 2013   #22
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Ray,
Unreal!
Where is the little boy that was your garden elf last fall? Put him in a rope harness and throw a line over the top of the deck rafter. Tell your wife's church group that if they want tomatoes this year they have to harvest these peas!
But seriously, absent a neighbor with a bigger ladder the tip over method seems like the best bet.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #23
NorthTom
Tomatovillian™

Tree Pruner?
NorthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Cinder blocks and wood planks are not safe unless done properly and could spell injury or even death.
Sorry.

Everyone needs a 6 foot 8 foot and at least a 10 foot step ladder around the house.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #25
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Cinder blocks and wood planks are not safe unless done properly and could spell injury or even death.
Sorry.

Worth
Heck of a lot safer than putting a step ladder in a wheel barrow as was suggested by Farmershawn. Safer than reaching tip toe off the end of a too short ladder too. And cinder blocks CAN be made into a sturdy base for scaffolding, then taken down after. Safer than any ladder, even the right size ladder. Even safer than trying to tip something that heavy. Sorry, but anyone in construction will tell you scaffolding gives a better base for your feet and balance than reaching over while on a ladder. I have made many many of them when I was working construction in the summer to pay for my schooling.

Can you do it wrong? Sure. Anything can be done wrong. But it isn't all that hard to do it right either, assuming you have enough cinder blocks and don't try to "stretch" them by stacking them upright instead of flat and interlocking.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old March 21, 2013   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Heck of a lot safer than putting a step ladder in a wheel barrow as was suggested by Farmershawn. Safer than reaching tip toe off the end of a too short ladder too. And cinder blocks CAN be made into a sturdy base for scaffolding, then taken down after. Safer than any ladder, even the right size ladder. Even safer than trying to tip something that heavy. Sorry, but anyone in construction will tell you scaffolding gives a better base for your feet and balance than reaching over while on a ladder. I have made many many of them when I was working construction in the summer to pay for my schooling.

Can you do it wrong? Sure. Anything can be done wrong. But it isn't all that hard to do it right either, assuming you have enough cinder blocks and don't try to "stretch" them by stacking them upright instead of flat and interlocking.
I work off of scaffolding 60 feet in the air and higher all of the time at work and I am not in construction.
I also work off of step ladders every day.
I climb fixed ladders and run around on cat walks high above turbines.
I run bridge cranes with cat walks on them so people can work in the air.

While you may have had a few years working to go to school, I my friend have been doing this for around 35 years and still at it.
It is what I do for a living.

Someone not trained in the proper laying of cinder block can create a death trap and you have to have the proper grade lumber to use as it is.

Then there are hand rails and toe boards to think about.
People are killed and injured every day from homemade contraptions and walking off roofs.
A properly set step ladder at the right height is the way to go.

You have to stay in the (green zone), this is where your belt buckle never goes past the side of the ladder.

Worth
Old March 21, 2013   #27
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I think this might be the ticket for you and if you pay in full at time of purchase you get a free paint tray which could be used to collect the peas in. Win Win to me since you can add a plank to it as well to use as scaffolding and you have a wide standing platform.

http://www.littlegiantxtreme.com/

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #28
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I work off of scaffolding 60 feet in the air and higher all of the time at work and I am not in construction.
I also work off of step ladders every day.
I climb fixed ladders and run around on cat walks high above turbines.
I run bridge cranes with cat walks on them so people can work in the air.

While you may have had a few years working to go to school, I my friend have been doing this for around 35 years and still at it.
It is what I do for a living.

Someone not trained in the proper laying of cinder block can create a death trap and you have to have the proper grade lumber to use as it is.

Then there are hand rails and toe boards to think about.
People are killed and injured every day from homemade contraptions and walking off roofs.
A properly set step ladder at the right height is the way to go.

You have to stay in the (green zone), this is where your belt buckle never goes past the side of the ladder.

Worth
If you have been doing it that long, then you know scaffolding is by far the safest way. Ladders are good for climbing, but people get into trouble when they start reaching from them and picking peas is reaching. Enough said about that. You can try your one-up-man-ship somewhere else. It's getting annoying.

@Rockporter YES! Used those before too, both as a ladder and as scaffolding bases. A pair of those is quite handy for a variety of around the house tasks.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old March 21, 2013   #29
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all,

I am solving the problem by now planting Dwarf Ann Snap Peas which can be picked at ground level.

Raybo
Old March 21, 2013   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
You can try your one-up-man-ship somewhere else. It's getting annoying.
Well at least I know of one thing you can one up me on.

Worth