Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old April 8, 2013   #16
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

All right, you hijackers !
Just kidding.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2013   #17
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Deb I would take a pix to post of my Provider beans in pots but it is TOO WINDY out there. They are starting to get pretty purple flowers. It seems to me they took a while to settle in and grow but since I only have grown tomatoes thats my frame of referrance.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2013   #18
Deborah

When you can pictures would be great !
Mine never came up, so I've planted more in a cereal bowl and will pot up if I get plants.
Old April 8, 2013   #19
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I planted my seeds in peat pots and put them on a heating mat. Up in a few days. Any warm place would work. Cable box is great, as is top of water heater or sometimes back of fridge.
Old April 8, 2013   #20
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I have some Jade I am going to plant next which has been around a while and seems to get mostly good reviews. Right now I am going outside to move all my potted Provider plants because we are having horrilble wind, steady at about 25 mph now with gusts at 40.
I liked the taste and appearance of Jade- it's a pretty bean, but the plants are taller than I like to deal with and they didn't produce as heavily or as long as Provider iirc.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2013   #21
Deborah

Oops, mine are outside. OK, top of fridge !
Old April 8, 2013   #22
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kath, good to know. Black Valentine is another I am interested in.

Deb once it gets warm and nights stay warm beans and most everything else will come up outside but it is still pretty chilly at night where I live. Mostly high 40s. I am new to beans but I think they like soil temp at or above 60. Although many say they will germinate in cool soil, so maybe yours will come in in time.
Old April 8, 2013   #23
Deborah

They're on the fridge now and thanks !
Old April 8, 2013   #24
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Black Valentine is another I am interested in.
I grew that one in 2009 I think when I still had the room for growing dried beans- before I found Tomatoville.Can't remember if we ate any of them fresh as green beans, though.
Old April 11, 2013   #25
kforbs126
Tomatovillian™

I started my provider beans on sunday. I'm gone for 7 days and will see how things look this coming monday. They are under a lamp and not a heating mat because I didn't want to run both as my other plants are under the lights now.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2013   #26
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
It just may be.

I'm near the MA/CT border, and Tom (TJG911, here at Tomatoville) is in CT. We both agree that Contender is the worst tasting bean that both of us have ever tried. It may be a southern New England thing.

If you're ever looking for small samples to trial, of many different varieties, send me a PM.

Gary
Gary, thank you for both the generous offer and the info on Contender. At this point I don't have even a square foot of available space in the garden beds if I grow everything in my plan for this year. But I have added Provider to the list of possibilities for next year so that I remember it when it comes time to buy my seeds for 2014. I love the pole beans I grow--primarily Super Marconi and Roma-- but they take so darn long to produce. While they are great steamed or boiled and tossed with olive oil and garlic, you can't throw them in a pan with some butter and lightly brown them--my favorite way to cook green beans!
Gina
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2013   #27
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Gary, thank you for both the generous offer and the info on Contender. At this point I don't have even a square foot of available space in the garden beds if I grow everything in my plan for this year. But I have added Provider to the list of possibilities for next year so that I remember it when it comes time to buy my seeds for 2014. I love the pole beans I grow--primarily Super Marconi and Roma-- but they take so darn long to produce. While they are great steamed or boiled and tossed with olive oil and garlic, you can't throw them in a pan with some butter and lightly brown them--my favorite way to cook green beans!
Gina
Gina,

Super Marconi (the Cuneo strain, from that region of Italy) is my absolute favorite bean for flavor. Yes it's late, and it also has fairly low production for me, in very hot weather. But, still I plant it.

I don't know why you say you can't throw them in a pan with butter???

Speaking of olive oil and garlic, I need to dig out a recipe (that I think I still have, but haven't tried) for oil and garlic oven roasted romano-type beans.

And, for early pole beans, someone should be sending me Kwintus, and another early, in a few days. He sometimes has trouble with trying to save seed, so I'm going to try to help. Hopefully, I'll be able to harvest a few hundred dry beans of each.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2013   #28
Deborah

The Providers are up and about two inches tall ! It's my first time seeing growing beans.
Old April 20, 2013   #29
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
The Providers are up and about two inches tall ! It's my first time seeing growing beans.
Beans are fun to watch because they grow so FAST!
Old April 20, 2013   #30
Deborah

I can't wait for some for salads !