Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old March 13, 2011   #1
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Default « Adelin Morin » a close relative to « Mémé Beauce » ?

I’m posting this in here but if you feel it should go in the general discussion please feel free to move it.

I recently got seeds for a tomato called “Adelin Morin” (it’s a man’s name). It is said to be a Quebec family heirloom. When I bought the seeds I was told that some people believe it could possibly be the same tomato as Mémé Beauce.

I know Carolyn offered “Mémé Beauce” in her offer and she has it on her grow list this year. I also found a few threads where it has been mentioned. So I’m assuming a few people here would have grown it. I personally have not grown Mémé Beauce.

In the Patri-Semences catalogue these two tomatoes have exactly the same description word for word. Where they differ is in their provenance.

Mémé Beauce is said to have been found in an abandoned building in the Beauce region of Quebec which is south of Quebec City.

Adelin Morin has apparently been grown in Cherstey, QC by the Morin family since the end of the 19th century. According to another source (Les Potagers d’antan ) the story is plausible. The first homes were established in the region in 1820 before it was named Chertsey in 1856. There were also allot of Morin families in the area at that time.

Ventmarin lists “Adelin Morin” and Tomodori has it on their 2011 grow list. Both these sites have François Lebel (Patri-semences) pictures and descriptions which is who I got my seeds from. They are the only two places I’ve seen it mentioned.

Here’s a link to photos of “Adelin Morin” from Ventmarin’s site:

http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tomates/tomates_a/adelin_morin.htm

I’d be very interested to know if anyone has heard any information about his.

And no I can't grow them both not this year anyway
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I grew Meme de Beauce last year and offered seeds in my recent seed offer hee at Tville. My fruits were pink and weren't as scarred as those you show.

If you you look at Tania's site she says red fruits, but Julien in France says pink and that's what I got, large pink beefsteak fruits and non of the zippering seen on the fruits you pictured.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...m%C3%A9_Beauce

What did Ventmarin say about fruit color? I'm too lazy right now to go look.
Old March 13, 2011   #3
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Ventmarin lists Mémé Beauce as red and so are a few other places. I saw one place describing it as "pinkish-red" but didn't see it anywhere as pink before ..... until now!

I didn't realized what you had was pink. Interesting.

I saw Tania's description this morning as red and Julien's as pink. Since I have no idea who Julien is (sorry Julien) and I always knew it as red I just assume the pink was a mistake.

Well I guess that stops my search in here. Everybody is growing a pink Mémé .

Thanks

I'll keep searching on "Adelin Morin" and see if I can find more info.
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012   #4
PATRISEM
Tomatovillian™

Default Mémé Beauce vs Adelin Morin and rose type

Since I'm responsible for putting Adelin Morin on the Market, let me rectify a few details.

Adelin Morin and Mémé Beauce are both red tomatoes. If someone has gotten a rose type then there was hybrisation in the field.

I'm also responsable for the rumor concerning a possable parenting between the two. After growing them on a same year I've been able to compare them and noticed how both the plants and the fruits bare similar traits. Furthermore if I can trust the stories given me about their origins, they seem to be from about the same era. Thus the hypothesis, but it will always remain a hypothesis unless someone wants to spend a load of money to do a DNA test !

Patri-Semences is officially closed for health reasons but I still have a few packets left for those who really want to get their hands on them.

Regards,

patri_semences@yahoo.ca
PATRISEM is offline   Reply With Quote