Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old July 2, 2013   #1
Smoke
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for highest NPK quick release fertilizers

What ones do you use?
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I use almost entirely slow release ferts. If I need a boost, animal manure does the trick.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #3
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

I agree with The Redbaron. The animal manure I would choose would be chicken manure.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2013   #4
Garden/Arborist
Tomatovillian™

Urine.
Garden/Arborist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

For quick release that will not damage your plants, were you only looking for organic options? how about some pretty blue miracle grow?

If you are looking for a commonly commercially available organic option, (as opposed to manure and urine), you can purchase liquid kelp or fish emulsions which are reliable and if used properly and according to the directions will not burn your plants.
I agree best to enrich the soil initially with rich compost and well rotted/composted manure but for a quick boost I would not use urine or fresh manure as both could burn your plants.
Karen O

Last edited by KarenO; July 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #6
Smoke
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
For quick release that will not damage your plants, were you only looking for organic options? how about some pretty blue miracle grow?

If you are looking for a commonly commercially available organic option, (as opposed to manure and urine), you can purchase liquid kelp or fish emulsions which are reliable and if used properly and according to the directions will not burn your plants.
I agree best to enrich the soil initially with rich compost and well rotted/composted manure but for a quick boost I would not use urine or fresh manure as both could burn your plants.
Karen O
Thanks karenO.I'm suprised how little options their are still for quick release organic that isn't pretty low in NPK.Ill probably go with a fish emulsion.Manure always seems extremely low(1-1-1) & really just shapes the soil imo.I'm in need for something higher & doesn't take long at all to release.I don't have the time,space,$ & 6months+ to build good soil right now.I have added worm castings & brewed a tea,don't think its enough for my soil still.The rain has tookout alot of what my soil had.I might get some fish emulsion along with some tomato tone.Might do a transplant this week
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
What ones do you use?
I've never found myself in a situation that I needed to apply a ton of fertilizer to my plants all at once.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #8
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
Every year i use this in early summer for my tomato plants, only once a year. My plants have had a lot or rain and now 3-5 days of sun 8-11hrs and heat is coming.I have 6 plants with flowers and they are only 10" high.I have only use fish food this summer.

MG Pro fertilizer very strong NPK

Last edited by FILMNET; July 4, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #9
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Thanks karenO.I'm suprised how little options their are still for quick release organic that isn't pretty low in NPK.Ill probably go with a fish emulsion.Manure always seems extremely low(1-1-1) & really just shapes the soil imo.I'm in need for something higher & doesn't take long at all to release.I don't have the time,space,$ & 6months+ to build good soil right now.I have added worm castings & brewed a tea,don't think its enough for my soil still.The rain has tookout alot of what my soil had.I might get some fish emulsion along with some tomato tone.Might do a transplant this week
What is your soil like? Heavy clay and not a lot of organic matter? Are your plants showing signs of nutrient deficiencies?
I know the frustration with too much rain and poorly draining soils, but pouring on higher NPK fertilizers, either organic or synthetic will not solve the fundamental problem that is causing stunting of growth. The roots and all the beneficial soil life are just plain being starved of oxygen and hence nutrients, not the aerobic conditions that promote nutrient cycling for good plant growth. You could have plenty of nutrients already in the soil but if the root growth is stunted or even rotting from lack of oxygen, it isn't doing any good.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #10
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

I'm in complete agreement with KarenO, because I saddened with a dying plant, (in a grow bag) earlier this week, then mixed up some kelp and watered everything individually.

A day later that plant appears to be back to normal. So, is kelp a cure-all or last resort?

Neither in my experience, just a micro-nutrient addition, or replacement to assist a growing plant reach full potential.
Old July 4, 2013   #11
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

If I want ferts made immediately available to plants, I use foliar applications. There are plenty of organic products made just for that to purpose or you can mix up your own.
Old July 4, 2013   #12
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Yes Neptune's Harvest sells Kelp seaweed and fish fertilizer, i had Kelp fertilizer from 5 yrs. If was from
Coast of Maine Organic Products, Inc.

Really great
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #13
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I have heard that bat guano is quick N, not sure what else, too pricey for me. Tomato Tone not really what it used to be. To bad your not close, I have a 20LB bag of it sitting in my shed collecting dust.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2013   #14
moon1234
Tomatovillian™

Calcium Nitrate and Potassium Nitrate are BOTH very quick release. You would see results in days. Miracle Grow is mostly Urea, will burn if your not careful and takes a while for the Urea to be broken down by soil microbes to an ammonium form plants can use.

If you purchase ag grade cal-nitrate or potassium nitrate (expensive) you will get a pretty pure product. The nitrate is identical to what comes from "organic" sources, but it is a concentrated salt. There are very few impurities and it works well.

Too late for this year, but keep in mind for next.
moon1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2013   #15
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon1234 View Post
Calcium Nitrate and Potassium Nitrate are BOTH very quick release. You would see results in days. Miracle Grow is mostly Urea, will burn if your not careful and takes a while for the Urea to be broken down by soil microbes to an ammonium form plants can use.

If you purchase ag grade cal-nitrate or potassium nitrate (expensive) you will get a pretty pure product. The nitrate is identical to what comes from "organic" sources, but it is a concentrated salt. There are very few impurities and it works well.

Too late for this year, but keep in mind for next.
Calcium Nitrate would be a rare occurrence in nature, Potassium Nitrate is saltpeter which can be found in mineral deposits, but both are made synthetically for commercial use. Since they are salts, they are not sources of Nitrogen for organic growing.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote