Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 5, 2013   #1
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Default Alaska brand fish ferts- Bought 18 bottles, now what?

I have a love affair with Lowes. They've been marking products down left and right. I've had my eyes of this stuff for a while now, waiting for the price to hit rock-bottom:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_75698-1321-1...7C0&facetInfo=

It was $11.47 a bottle. They marked it to $6 or so, then down to $4 and something. Yesterday, it was $1 per bottle. I found the $1 tag on an empty shelf. I was so ticked but then remembered that they had these bottles scattered around in other displays. I bought them all! So now I'm sitting on 18 bottles of fish nastiness.

These are 32 oz bottles with a hose attachment. I really don't care for the attachment and plan on taking the attachment off some of the bottles, somehow, and just using the product as a regular concentrate. A couple of the bottles had hairline cracks in the plastic and will need to be used very soon. They won't take the pressure of the water coming through the hose. I don't feel like taking a fishy bath.

Has anyone used this particular product or brand before? The formula is 2-5-3. I couldn't pass this up! It looks like the manufacturer has discontinued the product since it's not on their webpage anymore. I'm thinking this would be a good foliar product without that hose end thing. I've only used seaweed or Medina Hasta Grow for foliar feeds before. I'll just dilute it in a sprayer. I've just got to find a way to get that hose attachment off! Crowbar? Also, I'm hoping this doesn't have a short shelf life. I'm assuming if I store it in a cool(ish), dark location I'll be fine (not that Lowes did that, though). Is fish fert stable over the long term?

Also, has anyone tried combining smaller bottles of liquid fert into a larger bottle. I have some old 1 gallon juice bottles with very thick walls that I washed and stuck back for my DH. I think I'll raid his bottle stash! I'll disinfect the bottle. I'm thinking if there are any critters in the old bottle, they need to be gone before I add the fish ferts. I don't want any surprises waiting in the garage. I would only do this for the bottles with the hairline cracks. The ones that are well sealed will stay that way until I use them. I know I'm on borrowed time with the compromised bottles. Thank goodness I'm in the middle of planting out!

Christy
checkerkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

You lucky dog! At my Lowes they are still 5 dollars!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.lillymiller.com/msds_labels.html Look under liquid ferts.I thought maybe freezing was a option but apparently not.Most of your products/ chemicals come with theses MSDS sheets.
Old March 5, 2013   #4
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
http://www.lillymiller.com/msds_labels.html Look under liquid ferts.I thought maybe freezing was a option but apparently not.Most of your products/ chemicals come with theses MSDS sheets.
Thanks for the link! I missed this on their website. The labels on the bottles are in terrible shape or missing. Looks like I can foliar feed straight from the sprayer. I called the company and they are doing an information search for me with correct dilution for the cracked bottles. Let's see what they come up with.
Old March 5, 2013   #5
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
You lucky dog! At my Lowes they are still 5 dollars!
Tell them they are $1 down here and you will take them all if they reduce the price. This is a discontinued item. They should be happy for you to take them. I know you would be happy to take them! I included pics of the label and receipt. If you have a smart phone/tablet, maybe you can show someone, like a manager, and they will make you a deal. I like great deals!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130305_101104.jpg (337.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130305_101234.jpg (361.6 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by checkerkitty; March 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added info
Old March 5, 2013   #6
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Aren't you all very lucky, I cannot ever get these kinds of deals here in my area. bummer

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2013   #7
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Just ran by the other Lowes that's close by. I took in my receipt and clearance tag from the Lowes yesterday and talked with the garden manager who then talked to the store manager. They let me take all the Natural Blooms AND general purpose Alaska fert 2-2-2 for $1 each. The Lowes computer shows them to be discontinued products. He was happy to have them gone from the shelves to make room for something else. Might work for you guys, as well. The bottles are in pristine condition. I think these will store a good, long time.
Old March 17, 2013   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

WOO HOO Thanks Checkerkitty! My Lowes had not marked them down yet when you posted this. Like you I watched them like a hawk and got 3 bottles today for 1 dollar a piece! Pity they didn't have more, but still THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2013   #9
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
WOO HOO Thanks Checkerkitty! My Lowes had not marked them down yet when you posted this. Like you I watched them like a hawk and got 3 bottles today for 1 dollar a piece! Pity they didn't have more, but still THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
You are very welcome! I wish they did have more for you, too. Hopefully three bottles will last a while.