Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old June 30, 2007   #31
blatanna
Tomatovillian™

Default garlic.

I was always led to believe that garlic was frost hardy and did'nt need any protection. In fact the frost is what makes the clove split and form cloves. Also, garlic should only be harvested when the foliage turns yellow and dies down.
Old June 30, 2007   #32
blatanna
Tomatovillian™

Default Correction

That should have been. The frost makes the bulb split and form indevidual cloves.
Old July 5, 2007   #33
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Here is a few pics of a mutated hardneck garlic!
This softneck garlic popped up from planted Russian Red Rocambole... It grew shorter, with wider leaves and absolutely no scape! When pulled it amazed me with the size of bulb, nearly 4" in diameter... Keeping this one seperate to try again next season!

Randy
Fraser Valley, BC
Canada
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010401.JPGResized.jpg (114.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg P1010400.JPGresized.jpg (109.7 KB, 42 views)
Old July 5, 2007   #34
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Randy,

Wow nice size garlic. Never knew that hardnck could go to softneck. Any idea why this would happen?

Just pulled some Northern Quebec today. It is just as big as Russian. Also harvesting potatoes, beets and Broad Beans. See below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1663.JPG (266.4 KB, 46 views)

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2007   #35
rubylune
Tomatovillian™

This was my first year trying to grow garlic. I planted Giant Elephant Garlic, Inchelium, Chesnok Red and Silverskin.

I'm pretty disappointed because when i dug up my garlic this weekend all the heads were pretty small. Here's a pic:

I've got to figure out what i can do for next year to make them bigger.
rubylune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2007   #36
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Ruby,

They don't look all that small to me. Chesnok is small to medium as is Inchelium. Elephant is large but not a garlic, rather it is a type of leek.

If you want big bulbs then use the biggest bulbs you can buy or save. I always save the largest bulbs for seed. Also, fertlize your plot with lots of organic matter several weeks before planting and give them a bit of blood meal when the rain starts in spring. Hope that helps.

Alex

Bob Dylan
Old July 6, 2007   #37
rubylune
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Alex.

I used the sampler pack from the Garlic Store since i had never grown it before and wasn't sure what i'd want. I'll be sure to look for something larger for next year.

I guess really it doesn't matter the size of the bulbs as long as they taste good!
Old July 6, 2007   #38
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

While I’m no expert on growing garlic I have learned the following:

Loose soil, loose soil, loose soil. Each year my soil gets a little better and my bulbs get a little bigger.

If I had any sense I’d do a better job of preparing my soil before I plant in the fall.
Old July 6, 2007   #39
bully
Tomatovillian™

my garlic (which I know little about) is all falling over
does this mean it's time to harvest?
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2007   #40
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Jerry is absolutely right about having the soil nice and loose. I will grow buckwheat in August then plow it under after they flower. It helps to keep the soil loose and adds organic matter. I follow this with any type of compost. It is also important to have soil that drains well. Garlic like many other plants hates to have wet feet. Once planted you might put a bit of mulch on top, straw or grass, maybe an inch or two. This protects it from excessive frost and keeps the soil moist and free of weeds.

My soil is heavy and despite the effort to keep it loose it becomes like cement by early summer, nonetheless, the garlic grows fairly good.

Bully, it sounds like you should pull the garlic. Small garlic usually has thin stalks that will fall over as they grow taller. I suspect that your garlic bulbs will be very small as they did not grow thick enough to support the stem. Usually, thick stalks means big well developed heads. I don't think your crop will grow anymore unless it was spring planted.

A great source of info for growing garlic is Ron L. Engeland's, Growing Great Garlic. Check your local library or used book store.

Alex

Bob Dylan
Old July 7, 2007   #41
rubylune
Tomatovillian™

I think that was one of my big problems - packed soil. I'm not sure how it ended up so packed because it wasn't like that when i planted, and it's in my herb bed, but when i dug them up i thought i was going to break my hand trowel!

Unfortunately i'm limited in my locations to grow my garlic. I lived downtown with a small lot and do my gardening in a community garden that gets plowed over ever year in the spring. Maybe i'll tear out my husbands asparagus bed and turn it into a garlic bed!
Old July 7, 2007   #42
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

As Alex stated, garlic doesn't like compact soil... Use drainage sand, peat, or a loose loam. Too wet of soil can cause problems with drainage, oxygen getting to the roots and possible fungus growth.

Raised beds can be the answer! A raised bed that is 12' x 3' x 10" can raise over a hundred healthy garlic...

Certain varieties do better for different climates!

Here are four varieties from my garden: left to right - Kettle Valley Giant, Limburgh, Pyang Vang and Mutated Garlic.

* Majestic, Italian and more Limburgh pics in a few days...

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010424.JPGresized.jpg (146.8 KB, 68 views)
Old July 7, 2007   #43
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Keep on forgetting to mention Simonetti Artichoke Garlic...
This garlic I purchased from The Garlic Store two years back.

It produces very well in damper soils that aren't too loose.
No fungus problems at all...

The Garlic Store write up:

Simonetti
Large white artichoke bulbs that were uncovered in the Republic of Georgia by garlic researchers Dr. Phil Simon. Grows well in all climates, it has a moderate and pleasing heat, and stores for many, many months after harvest.
Old July 10, 2007   #44
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Enjoyed paging though this thread. I love garlic and have wanted to grow some for quite some time now, but every year something just seems to come up. Either I forget to order on time for planting, or I don't have an area properly prepared, etc. Last year, it was because I was moving.

Well, this year, I am going to do it, and already have some ordered.

I'd like to put in a good word for Gourmet Garlic Gardens. They were recommended to me by an experienced garlic gardener in Houston as a top quality source for great tasting and unusual garlics that do well here. The reason some of their garlic may seem expensive at first glance is because they carry some highly desirable and rather hard-to-find types like the Creoles. $16/lb is the going rate for Creoles from most reputable sources (if they even have them available at all).

I had the pleasure of talking to the owner, Bob Anderson, on the phone a few days ago, and he is just a great guy. Very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. His webpage is an outstanding source of detailed information on growing garlic. Bob is based in Texas, and while he specializes in varieties that do well here, he also carries a good selection of other types as well. However, some of the Creole types are either out of stock or in low supply, because this was a tough year for garlic growing in Texas due to the grasshoppers and the torrential rains.

Here's a youtube video about Bob and his garlic (about 6 1/2 minutes long):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdlhr8My9n4

Filaree Farm is another highly recommended source, and I also ordered from them as well since Bob was out of many of the Creole types I wanted to try this year.

This fall, I'll be planting:

Creoles:
Ajo Rojo
Burgundy
Creole Red
Pescadero Red
Cuban Purple
Spanish Benitee
Labera Purple

Other:
Metechi (marbled purple stripe)
Red Janice (Turban)
Wonha (Asiatic)

Probably also a small amount of artichoke and silverskin types that might be in one of the samplers I ordered.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2007   #45
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Suze,
What is being sacrificed to grow the garlic?
Surely not tomatoes
G.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote