Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 19, 2010   #16
moburg
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmoth View Post
Ive got to go hunting for slips this week, I think there is 1 local nursery who carries any. The purple (Okinawan) are tasty, but im a sucker for any sweet potatoes.

Bonus is their greens are edible too, and our kept rabbits LOVE them (we just trim 2-3 leaves per trailing vine every other week or so) and have good tuber development.

Thanks for the pic Bluey! my attempt at slips was near the compost bucket and I think the #^%$@&#^% fruit flies got gunk on them because they molded all up. Will try again!

I found Beauregard sweet potato plants at my local Home Depot. I purchased Georgia Jets from a website last year and this year. Last year, 2 survived and produced potatoes. 6 have died already this year. Getting them from Home Depot to begin with would have been far cheaper. $3.48 for 9.
moburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010   #17
moburg
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCreekFarms View Post
okinawa purple was probably my most reqested variety of Sweet Potato from the SSE yearbook this year. I am still getting lots of requests for it from my website. I don't know why there is so much interest in it all of the sudden.
gary

My interest is because until a trip to Hawaii in March/April, I didn't know they existed. And because I'm a Clemson grad/fan, the thought of orange and purple sweet potatoes is way too cool to pass up!

I settled for purple majesty potatoes for this year. Come fall and tailgate season, I'm going to give homegrown and homemade orange and purple potato chips a try.
moburg is offline   Reply With Quote