Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old June 1, 2016   #76
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

duplicate post

Last edited by dmforcier; June 1, 2016 at 10:00 PM.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #77
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Installing the duct a piece of cake the ceiling joists run the right way so I dont have to worry about running into one going through the ceiling.
I need to go between the ceiling joists 90 through a wall and 90 back up and straight up and out. Maybe 6 feet of 6 inch duct at the most.
Excuse me? 6" duct for 1200 cfm? I don't think so. You're not installing a high pressure system. Isn't the spec 12" square? (or was that the last one I looked at?)

In my case (8" round) the installer said, "You're going to run right into a joist, so I want to split the duct around the joist." I nearly fired him on the spot. "No. This section of duct is behind the fire trap. You cut the joist, sister it, and run intact to the roof." I could see he wasn't happy, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #78
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Excuse me? 6" duct for 1200 cfm? I don't think so. You're not installing a high pressure system. Isn't the spec 12" square? (or was that the last one I looked at?)

In my case (8" round) the installer said, "You're going to run right into a joist, so I want to split the duct around the joist." I nearly fired him on the spot. "No. You cut the joist, sister it, and run intact to the roof." I could see he wasn't happy, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.
Your right it says 8 inch the manual has all of them in it and I was looking at the wrong one, I thought 6 was small.
The chimney is just for pretty to cover up the duct.
So he wanted to split the duct that seems harder than cutting the joist and connecting it to the other two joists.
I'm just glad I dont have to worry about it.

Speaking of vents.
There was or is a restaurant in Austin the has a grease river running down the roof top and making grease stalactites off the roof and grease stalagmites on the ground.

Never ate there.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #79
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I guess I do things differently. When we cook steaks inside on the cast iron grill, we open all the windows and turn on a fan blowing out a window.

We had a vent-a-hood catch on fire back in 1993 when we first moved here. I chose to take out the wiring and not to replace it or the vent-a-hood. Maybe I'm too overcautious, but I'll never forget the fire.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 1, 2016 at 10:43 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #80
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I guess I do things differently. When we cook steaks inside on the cast iron grill, we open all the windows and turn on a fan blowing out a window.

We had a vent-a-hood catch on fire back in 1993 when we first moved here. I chose to take out the wiring and not to replace it or the vent-a-hood. Maybe I'm too overcautious, but I'll never forget the fire.

Yeah salt I am doing that now.

What is going on here is I am limiting my options by trying to make it easy.
By doing this I am blinding myself to very good options.

The best option is to put what ever range or cook top I get in the longest section of the room/space I have.

This would require me to take the bar out now not later.

Worth
Old June 2, 2016   #81
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

We went with a Blue Star at work when we renovated our commercial kitchen because everyone felt a "home kitchen" feel was important, and we wanted to put cabinets right up to it. Our antique 10 burner Garland with the standing pilots (that were always going out) and any other new commercial stove we might have considered could not go into a space where it would be flanked by flammable material. Just four years and minimal use later, it's beginning to have problems and the Blue Star Authorized techs are few and far between. If it were me, I'd go with the largest basic residential stove I could fit.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #82
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
We went with a Blue Star at work when we renovated our commercial kitchen because everyone felt a "home kitchen" feel was important, and we wanted to put cabinets right up to it. Our antique 10 burner Garland with the standing pilots (that were always going out) and any other new commercial stove we might have considered could not go into a space where it would be flanked by flammable material. Just four years and minimal use later, it's beginning to have problems and the Blue Star Authorized techs are few and far between. If it were me, I'd go with the largest basic residential stove I could fit.

Right now I am looking at one that is made or based right here in Austin Texas called Hallman.
http://www.hallmanindustries.com/pro...ane.html?cid=7
Old June 2, 2016   #83
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Right now I am looking at one that is made or based right here in Austin Texas called Hallman.
http://www.hallmanindustries.com/pro...ane.html?cid=7

That looks like a great option (and I'm not just saying that because it has Italian made burners &#128516.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #84
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
That looks like a great option (and I'm not just saying that because it has Italian made burners &#128516.
How I do this is I spend days looking at stuff and start sorting and end up going back to the same thing.
Verona is another one I am looking at but not for shure about service as all the parts are in New York.
I Italians make everything great except cars.

Worth
Old June 2, 2016   #85
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Worth
While you May want a commercial look
Do not buy a commercial stove they have pilots to go out all the time

Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #86
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chef View Post
Worth
While you May want a commercial look
Do not buy a commercial stove they have pilots to go out all the time

Old chef

Don't worry I wont, those things could put a propane tank on vacuum in no time.

I was also looking at reviews last night and some of the regular stoves were performing better than the high end stuff that cost thousands of dollar more.

The Hallman I am looking at looks like a really good stove with no fancy bells and whistles.

One thing I am finding really funny is when I am looking at a forum and people are complaining about the simmer burners being too hot.

These people really dont realize they can turn the burners down, they think it only runs on high.
Honest they do.
One guy was helping another lady and this is his almost exact words.

"Here is a trick I learned, After you light the burner you can turn it back down and the flame gets lower, this has worked out great for me.
I mean this guy wasn't being a smart %^&$ he was serious.

Other problems are just adjustment problems that should have been done by the installer.
If they had an installer.
Fine tuning so to speak.
A gas stove shouldn't be smoking up the house.

A BTU is a BTU it doesn't matter what stove it is on the rest is mostly cosmetic.

What I want is one that doesn't have electronics that can go out.
It needs to be 36 inches with at least 5 to 6 burners.
The dials need to be up front not in the back like mine are.
I cant put a kettle in the back and mess with the burners without getting burned.
Plus the back control panel acts as a back splash collecting grease and everything.
Who on earth came up with this idea?
Why would you make something you would have to reach across and around hot kettles and fire to adjust?
Why is one of the two high output elements in the back where I cant use it for big kettles

Essentially what I have is a 2 burner stove with two worthless burners in the back.
The other deal is the amount of power.
The big elements put out 2000 watts that converts to 6424 BTU's
The little ones are 1500, at 5118 BTU's.

No wonder it takes so long to heat up water and it wont boil water in some kettles like a granite water bath canner.

The other thing my stove has 5.0 cubic feet of oven space more than big enough for a turkey but nothing else.
So I have to ask myself how many cubic feet do I need for a turkey?
The ranges with the dials up front have less cubic feet of oven space sometimes.

Sounds like I am going over board looking at what I have why I dont like it and what I can get that I can be happy with.
I really want two ovens.
All of my life I have wanted two ovens.

I hope you guys are getting a kick out of this.

Worth
Old June 2, 2016   #87
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Came up with this.
I got away from the so called Pro look and things started falling into place
Did some calculations and with the total BTU output of the cook top at 56000 BTU's I was able to drop the vent size down to 760 CFM and still be over powered a wee bit.
By going to the normal persons cook top that still has great performance I was able to afford the two ovens I wanted.
Those two oven will fit right where my stove is now if I want them to.

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-elite-3...p-02232713000P
http://www.sears.com/kenmore-30inch-...p-02249449000P

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZLINE-36-...3-36/206922080

Last edited by Worth1; June 2, 2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old June 2, 2016   #88
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

"Why would you make something you would have to reach across and around hot kettles and fire to adjust?
Why is one of the two high output elements in the back where I cant use it for big kettles"

"All of my life I have wanted two ovens."

Amen and Amen! My stove in the basement that I use for canning was basically fre so I wont complain about the cost... new or not... this is the worst place to put the controls. BEHIND the cooking area. For canning this is awful. I plan to eventually change that stove, but while I have it it is not the safest place. Next to that kind of shoved in the corner is the breaker box. You can't get to that either without being in danger if you need to turn off the power completely.. not real well thought out. My fault, I guess I didn't know I would want a canning kitchen in that corner when we built the addition...

When we remodeled I was going to get a double wall oven until I saw the cost of them and realized if something happened to one I had none to bake with. So I bought two slide in glass top ranges for all my baking and cooking upstairs.

In case you are interested in the range hood from home depot... I was there when we were in the beginning of the remodeling project... NO ONE even asked if we needed help of any kind. They acted as if we weren't there. . I was worried that I would get the same kind of service if we needed something after we bought any appliances, too, so I wrote them off my list.

Last edited by clkeiper; June 2, 2016 at 08:22 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #89
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I can get basically the same thing from Sears at the same price I think I will do that.

Any thoughts on what is have picked out will be welcomed.
The cook top has five burners one of which is 20000 BTU 1 12000 BTU2 9500 BTU 1 5000 BTU 36 inches wide.

Worth
Old June 2, 2016   #90
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Sears is where I looked and I saw the exact some one http://www.sears.com/kenmore-30inch-...p-02249449000P

And this one http://www.sears.com/kenmore-elite-7...1&blockType=G1

I myself, would really like the gas one (Second link)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote