Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 4, 2006   #1
Delora
Tomatovillian™

Default Patio-Sized Plants

Forgive me if the topic has already come up. I checked old threads, but didn't see anyone discussing patio plants.

I want a few plants to round out some planting boxes this year and was wondering if I could get some feedback on these varieties:

Elfin
Florida Petite
Patio F Hybrid
Small Fry Hybrid
Sprite
Tiny Tim

TIA!!!

-Delora
Delora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2006   #2
bully
Tomatovillian™

I grew Patio F hybrid last year and wasn't nuts about it

It was kind of late and started producing the same time as my big hitters..Brandywine, Kelloggs Breakfast..etc..etc..
So it did get compared to some great tomatoes and just didn't hold up.

I also grew tiny tim and think Red Robin is much better.
We also have a "Growing in Containers" forum here at Tomatoville and you may find some more info there.
http://www.tomatoville.com/viewforum.php?f=18
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2006   #3
seeker
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delora,

How large are your containers? If you could go to a slightly larger plant, there are several varieties that taste really good. Silvery Fir tree is my favorite, but, if you prefer a less-tart tomato, Sophie's Choice and Lucky Leprechaun are real nice, too. As an added benefit, all 3 are very attractive plants (SFT is gorgeous!)...and all 3 produce slicing-size tomatoes. The plants get about 2' tall, and can be supported with a store-bought cage.

From your list, I've grown Tiny Tim and Patio. In my opinion, Tiny Tim doesn't come close to any of those 3, but, if you need a really small plant, it's an okay cherry. So is Red Robin, and it's a smaller plant. I like Patio, and grow it every year. It's the best tomato I've found for a small container I have. But I wouldn't waste one of my large containers on it.

Burpee has 2 small ones I'd like to try (Patio Princess and Bushsteak), but won't be able to do it this year.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

Paula
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2006   #4
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

I have grown patio for the last three years too and have liked it but have grown it in my small garden and not in containers. I did try Tiny Tim year before last but it didn't do anything but then neither did my other plants and I am trying it again but in containers this year.
I haven't tried any of the others. I looked for Sophie's Choice but couldn't find it in any of the catalogs or web sites I knew about.
This year I am trying:Tiny Tim, Glory of Moldova, Micro Tom, Patio Orange, Tumbler(yellow and red) and Totem.
SelfSufficient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2006   #5
seeker
Tomatovillian™

SelfSufficient1, you can get Sophie's Choice seeds at:
http://www.southernexposure.com/Merc...gory_Code=RTOM
Old March 7, 2006   #6
creister
Tomatovillian™

I found Sophie's Choice at Sandhill Preservation as well.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2006   #7
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Delora,

Lucky Leprechaun has been mentioned, and I second the recommendation. It has great flavor and is productive. You might want to prop up the plant a bit; it will become top-heavy with fruit. Fruit is red, small slicer-sized and has a beefsteak flavor. You can buy it at Heirloom Seeds (www.heirloomseeds.net), 15 seeds per packet.

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2006   #8
bully
Tomatovillian™

I didn't know Sophies' Choice was a smaller type plant.
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2006   #9
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the site! It says 18-24 inches but it also says that it doesn't handle heat well so that may not be a good choice for me here. Going to go look at their other choices though
Old March 7, 2006   #10
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Was trying to look up that Lucky Leprechaun but can't find heirloomseeds.net
Old March 7, 2006   #11
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I found it .com instead of .net. Oh no, here I go again, lol.
Old March 7, 2006   #12
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Whoops, my mistake.

It's Heirloom Seeds, http://www.heirloomseeds.COM.

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2006   #13
seeker
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of mistakes...GTG is right, Lucky Leprechaun fruit is small, much smaller than Silvery Fir Tree or Sophie's Choice. Very sorry, hope I didn't mislead anyone.
Old March 9, 2006   #14
honu
Tomatovillian™

What size container is recommended for Sophie's Choice and Red Robbin?
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2006   #15
Delora
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the replies!

I ended up ordering Sprite (a 2' plant with grape tomatoes) and Micro-Tom to try indoors next winter. Martha in VA was also very kind and sent me some seed for Sophie's Choice and Lime Green Salad.

Most of the plants are going to be donated to my son's elementary school for their annual silent auction, so I don't know what size of pot they'll eventually end up in. I thought that small patio plants would be easier for the average non-gardener to handle if they don't already have a dedicated plot. I think LGS might be especially interesting since it's such a novelty to most people being a green when ripe.

I'll be putting a few in some planting boxes that are 1'x4'x3' along with some annuals to be edible ornamentals. I'll also be giving a few of the small plants to my mother to grow on her deck since she's in a townhouse and doesn't have a yard. Most of her pots are 10-12". I'm not sure that Sophie's Choice would work well in something that small, so I might try to get her another pot that's a bit larger. The Sprite I ordered is specifically for her though, since she likes the mild flavor of grape tomatoes (I gave her a Siberian Pink last year that she said was too "strong").

Thanks for the info on Lucky Leprechaun. I'll definitely have to check it out for next season!

-Delora
Delora is offline   Reply With Quote