Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 29, 2007   #1
seymour_man
Tomatovillian™

Default What is wrong?

I have 12 containers with 2 plants in each container. I am using Al's Mix with lime, fertilizer and epsom salts added

Transplanted 2 weeks ago. Used Daconil 1st week.

11 of the containers are doing fine. The first 2 photos are examples.

One container containing an Earl of Edgecombe and Stump of the World dont look so good. The last 4 photos show this I hope. The leaves are a pale green and dont show much new growth compared to the other plants.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong and what the fix is? I dont know if it is a disease, transplant shock, ingredients didnt get mixed well in this container, etc.

Would hitting them with Neptune's Harvest Fish and Seaweed help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg good1.jpg (624.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg good2.jpg (685.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg bad1.jpg (781.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg bad1 closeup.jpg (622.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg bad3.jpg (722.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg bad4.jpg (685.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by seymour_man; May 29, 2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Added info
seymour_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

It doesn't look like a disease or transplant shock, more like an imbalance or nutrient problem with the soil, or maybe just too much water.

You can try Neptune's Harvest or some other fertilizer at quarter strength, not full strength, and see if they green up a little. If the soil seems soggy, cut back on water and apply the weak fertilizer as a foliar feed instead of saturating the soil even more.

If that doesn't work, you might want to change the container mix they're in. They are still small plants, so doing that shouldn't be too much of a shock as long as you don't let the roots get exposed to the air.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007   #3
lucylou
Tomatovillian™

Hi there - I'm new here so don't put much stock in this but I had a Rutgers in a container that looked just exactly like yours. We had lots of rain but all my other plants are great. I dumped out the dirt in its pot and found the bottom half of it was soaking wet. I guess I didn't get it mixed up well or the pot wasn't draining for some reason. Within 3 days of moving it to a new pot with better mixed potting soil it greened right up. It might be worth a try.

Lucy
lucylou is offline   Reply With Quote