Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old June 23, 2019   #31
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Great list - hope things are well on the farm!

So far so good, we've had good weather the last few months -- here's hoping that holds up!
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2019   #32
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Update: yep, Sat, Aug 24th, 2-4 PM is confirmed! If you need address/directions, send me a message.
Old August 16, 2019   #33
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Next year I’ll be there!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019   #34
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Weather forecasts's looking good -- 77 F, partly sunny! The August hot spell we had just broke, so mild weather the next several days.

Besides tomatoes, we'll have sweet peppers and hot peppers for tasting, and also some okra and watermelons.

Will post a variety list update later if I've time...
Old August 23, 2019   #35
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Ken,

I hope the event goes well this year. Lot's of great looking varieties in your original list. I'm especially interested in hearing how

Don's Double Delight and Summer Sweet Gold(Dwarf) turn out.

DDD was found in my dad's garden a few years back from the same cross that gave us Lucky Cross and Little Lucky. It's been a must grow in our garden ever since.

Summer Sweet Gold is the original Summertime Gold (if my memory serves me correct..) that was renamed after it was discovered the seed distribution for SG was not exactly matching the original. One of the best tasting each season.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2019   #36
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

hi Lee --

Belated reply to this post!

Don's Double Delight -- really liked it, but only had 1 plant that we were able to transplant out this year, so we'll want to look at it again next year with a larger planting. But, really liked the production + flavor + the prettiness of the fruits -- I don't know how you'd describe the shape of the fruits, but they've got a really interesting folded look to them that I haven't noticed before.

Summer Sweet Gold -- yeah, nice tasting fruits! Not many fruits this year on them this year, had more disease trouble this year for some reason, even though it's generally been a good tomato year for us. We'll have seed available in our 2020 catalog -- our Oregon seed crop grower says it did fine for them.

(We first saw Summer Sweet Gold in 2015 or 2016 when Craig was doing driveway growouts in straw bales of all the dwarfs. Summer Sweet Gold and Dwarf Emerald Giant were 2 of the ones we tried that we liked best for flavor and for disease resistance.)