Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 3, 2016   #1
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

Default Organic Seed Supply?

Can anyone comment on this vendor? Seeds true to variety? Germination rate?

Thanks,

gary
Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting View Post
Can anyone comment on this vendor? Seeds true to variety? Germination rate?

Thanks,

gary
Never heard of it so had to fetch the link

http://www.organicseedsupply.com/

I have some problems about the site when I read at the bottom the about us since they say they work with small farms, etc, but many that they offer, the F1's ,can only be gotten from the companies that breed them.

In addition to see the prices they say they originally charged and the new charge of about $3 and for many varieties, I confess I was only reading the tomato section which I know best, is utterly ridiculous IMO.

I see them as a repackage company, like it or not.

And I see no documentation anywhere that the seeds are organically grown.

If for philosophical reasons a person needs to have organically grown seeds, that's fine, but it's HOW one grows something that makes it organic.

Summary? I think there are other companies I would trust when it comes, at least, to buying tomato seeds where they grow their own, mostly, and have been certified organic if that's what someone wants.

Just my opinion

Carolyn
Old January 3, 2016   #3
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply, Carolyn. The things you mention are the same that worried me. I'm mostly interested in their peppers and there was one in particular that received two reviews saying it was not as advertised.

I can get the ones I'm interested in from Burpee but at twice the price. Of course, half price isn't such a good deal if the varieties aren't correct.

Organically grown seeds aren't a big deal to me, so that's not much of a plus, even if it's true.

And as you say, for tomato seeds there are many, many trusted vendors to buy from.

Regards,

gary
Old January 4, 2016   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting View Post
Thanks for the reply, Carolyn. The things you mention are the same that worried me. I'm mostly interested in their peppers and there was one in particular that received two reviews saying it was not as advertised.

I can get the ones I'm interested in from Burpee but at twice the price. Of course, half price isn't such a good deal if the varieties aren't correct.

Organically grown seeds aren't a big deal to me, so that's not much of a plus, even if it's true.

And as you say, for tomato seeds there are many, many trusted vendors to buy from.

Regards,

gary
Gary, what kinds of peppers are you looking for b'c there are also some good pepper sources.

Carolyn
Old January 4, 2016   #5
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I placed an order with them on Dec 8th.The email from them said an estimated delivery Dec 14 – 17.No sign of them yet.I sent them an email on Dec 28.No response.I called them this morning.Went straight to voice-mail.
If I track my order with the link in their email it takes me to Amazon. Same info there – estimated delivery Dec 14-17.If I go straight to my account at Amazon they don’t show any order.
I would avoid them.
Old January 4, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

When I am dealing with a new company the first things I do is email them and call them.
You can rest assured before I recommend any company here I have done this and they have passed the test.
They may be more expensive but by darn you get a person not the run around.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2016   #7
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I'm not really looking for anything particularly exotic, just Yummy, Zavory, Chinese Giant, Greek Pepperoncini, and maybe a mild jalapeno.

I'm not really a pepper guy and am just going to grow a few for friends. Though, I'm tempted to grow something super-hot for an acquaintance who teases me as a wimp for my aversion to hot peppers. But that would just be mean...

The thing that really raised a red flag for me were the reviews for Carolina Reaper. Guess I'll pass on their good prices.

gary