Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 9, 2007   #1
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Default 2006/2007 Garlic

Hi,

Here are a few pics of my 2006/2007 Garlic Crop...
Just a few noted varieties are shown as bulbs! Majestic Porcelian Hardneck Garlic, Italian Porcelian Hardneck Garlic, Simonetti Artichoke Garlic and Limburgh Artichoke Garlic.

Three varieties shown as current plants with scapes maturing for bulbil production! Spicy Red Korean Hardneck Garlic, Majestic Porcelian Hardneck Garlic and Italian Porcelian Hardneck Garlic... Another two weeks until I pick the scapes for the mature bulbil capsils!

Randy
Fraser Valley, BC
Canada
Zone 7b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Majestic Bulbs.jpg (182.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Italian Bulbs.jpg (146.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Limburgh.jpg (187.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Simonetti.jpg (193.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Majestic.jpg (96.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Spicy Red Korean.jpg (97.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Italian.jpg (79.0 KB, 12 views)
Old July 9, 2007   #2
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

Looks great Randy! I am going to try some different varieties this year. Having never grown any before I was a bit cautious.
How long can you store the Hardneck vs. Softneck?
Thanks,
Carol
caascher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2007   #3
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carol,

Here is some info you may like to see...

Under good home storage conditions a solid, well-cured, well-wrapped garlic bulb will keep 6 to 8 months or longer. The actual keeping time is affected by variety and other factors. Store garlic at a cool, stable room temperature. A temperature of 15 - 18°C (60 - 65°F) with moderate humidity and some air circulation works well.

ARTICHOKE - Subspecies sativum. A softneck variety. Artichoke garlic is the easiest to grow, given the fact that it is widely adaptable. This species is generally an excellent storer (6-9 months on average). Turban sub-species stores 3-4 months. In each head there are approximately 12-24 cloves that are harder to peel. Artichoke garlic generally matures the earliest and bulbs are usually 2 ¼”-3” across.

PORCELAIN - Subspecies ophioscorodon. A hardneck variety. Porcelain garlic is milder and tastier than artichoke. They like good soil, and prefer colder temperatures than most others. They store fairly well, around 4-8 months. The heads contain 4-6 cloves and are around 1 ½” to 2 ½ “ in diameter.

ROCAMBOLE - Subspecies ophioscorodon. A hardneck variety. Rocambole garlic has the best flavour, and is overall stronger. They need good fertile soil, and a cold winter climate. The heads store for a shorter period than most, at only 3-4 months. On average, the 2-2 ¾ “ heads have 6-11 very easy to peel cloves. Rocambole matures around the middle of the season.

PURPLE STRIPE - The purple stripe variety is named for its colourful complexion. They store, around 5-10 months. The bulbs are very ornamental, and often win taste tests when roasted. On average they have 8-12 cloves per head, which is slightly more than rocomboles. The cloves are therefore smaller.

SILVERSKIN - Subspecies sativum. A softneck variety. Silverskins vary greatly in strength. They need good soil, and prefer a mild winter with a long growing season, but also do well in the north. Normally they store for 6-12 months. The heads have anywhere from 8-24 cloves, and are 1 ½” to 2 ¼ “ in diameter. The plants mature very late in the season, and are the best for braiding due to their even shape.
Old July 10, 2007   #4
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Randy,

Harvested my garlic crop two days ago. Here are a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1673.JPG (272.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1690.JPG (208.4 KB, 35 views)

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #5
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Hey Alex,

Your crop looks great!
I would say it was very successful...

Which varieties?

Take care,
Randy
Old July 11, 2007   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

I have only dug 4 softnecks so far. All my hardnecks don't appear to be ready, only the bottom set of leaves are yellowing and drying up. I may be digging next weekend.
Tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #7
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Randy,
Main crop are Russian, Yugo and Inchelium Red. Also, Northern Quebec, Moravian, Carpathian, Susan Delefield, Spanish Roja, Lorenzo Italian,French and Meditteranean.

Alex

Bob Dylan
Old July 11, 2007   #8
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi All,

I grew about a 100 heads of garlic. Three varieties. I pulled them out late last month. To make a long story short, DH tossed them all. In all fairness, we were in the process of moving. One day, when I was working and he was cleaning out the garage, he had the bright idea that I could "just buy more".

Oh well. No need to cry over tossed garlic.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2007   #9
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Alex,

How did the French, Carpathian and Meditteranean grow?
Keep me posted on their growth habits, size and taste...

Those are interesting varieties!

Take care,
Randy

Last edited by missionrandy; July 15, 2007 at 12:40 PM.
missionrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2007   #10
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Hey Alex,

You should try some of Beaver Pond Estates Garlic next season... Check out the PDF file below! I will vouch for Majestic Porcelian, it's a very tall plant with huge bulbs, great taste too...

Take care,
Randy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2007_Descriptive_Listing_Beaver Pond Organic Garlic.pdf (365.4 KB, 7 views)
Old July 15, 2007   #11
missionrandy
Tomatovillian™

Another great source for the stinking rose is Boundary Garlic! Attached you will find a PDF File...

Take care,
Randy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Boundary Garlic 2007 Catalogue.pdf (106.8 KB, 3 views)
Old July 20, 2007   #12
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default Rain and Taste?

Well all the softneck bulbs have been eaten. I prefer grocery store garlic hands down! Thankfully I only planted 12-15 cloves (about 5-7% of the garlic planted) and only got 6-8 plants to grow. Very little taste, so mild you question what you are eating!! Very disappointing.
I dug about 6 hardnecks last weekend, all Music, and I think the bulbs could grow a bit more. I haven't tasted any of those yet. I have to dig some more this weekend to see how the wrappers look, the tops of the plants are definitely dying back.
QUESTION -
I stopped watering and fertilizing (both hard and softnecks) when I cut the scapes a few weeks ago but it has rained 3-4 times very heavy. Yesterday we were deluged with 4" of rain in 2 hours! Could the poor flavor of the softnecks be due to heavy rains like yesterday? If yes, then is my Music harvest is a bust too? I can't stop the rain. If the rain is washing out the flavor, then the heck with garlic. I eat a ton of garlic and planned on planting about 20% of the garden with garlic this fall for storage so I could have better quality garlic for free. But if these rains ruin the flavor then this is a waste of time. So do these rains after cutting scapes and stopping watering effect the taste?
Tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2007   #13
henry
Tomatovillian™

Garlic needs to age about a month for it to reach it's full flavor fresh out of the ground is when it is most mild.

Henry
henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2007   #14
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

I don't think the rain is responsible for weak taste. I live in a region where rainfall is plentiful in the winter and spring and have not noticed any difference in taste. Perhaps it is the result of the stock you used or some other reasons. If you like strong hot garlic then there is plenty to choose from.
BTW, last season we set records for rainfall and my Music, Northern Quebec and Russian were all very big.

Alex

Bob Dylan
Old July 25, 2007   #15
potager
Tomatovillian™

Have you ever thought of garlic as an ornamental? For example the Rebberger snake garlic? Pretty, isn't it?