Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 3, 2018   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default First seedlings appeared yesterday

Well just 4 days after building my grow light box I have 4 seedlings coming up. The Black Sea Man tomato seeds I won last summer are fertile. Along with the 8 tomato seeds I started I also have 8 Shish-ito pepper seeds that I've been told could take up to 2 weeks to emerge. So tonight I added some additional varieties some Jet Star & Better Boy tomato seeds and some Cubanelle sweet pepper. Now I'm kicking myself for not having done this years ago, I know I may have issues but at least I have toe confidence to start my seeds rather than by from a greenhouse. It also helps knowing I have a lifeline with all you who have walked this road before me and will offer help if needed... Thanks Guys & Gals, when the seedlings get a little bigger I just might have to post a pic.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #2
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Congrats on your first-borns!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #3
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Now the next 8 or 9 weeks are critical I'll feel much better when I have them planted in my grow bags.
Old March 4, 2018   #4
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Now you just have to find the perfect balance between heat, water and light. Not enough light is easy to notice. yoy get leggy plants. A low temperature will stop growth, too much water is dangerous as the seedlings may rot. Wait till the surface is practically dry before watering. When normal leaves appear you can safely water them keeping the plants in 6 mm / 1/4 inch of water.

Keep in mind that growing one's tomatoes means contracting a virus you may keep all your life
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #5
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations, Dad!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #6
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

My tomatoes seedlings will need water soon, the 8 section seed starter container has 5 of 8 sections with seedlings but the 2 surrounding 8 section pots have peppers that haven't emerged yet so I don't want them to get any water. Can I just remove the 8 section tomato container and set it in a small pan that fits the tomato section? And because this is all new to me I do know I need to set them in water and not water them from the top. So I'm thinking these are peat containers maybe set them in 1/4" of water but how long should I let it drink before I set it back in the grow box? I was told don't even think of adding any liquid fertilizer until the seedlings have been out 2 weeks and then make it 1/4 strength. when I finish this initial watering I can remove the saran wrap covering for good right? Thanks for walking me through this!
Old March 4, 2018   #7
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

If the sprouts are the only ones that need it, then just water that section. It is best to bottom water. I'm impatient, so I put my sprout cells in fairly deep water and soon you can see the surface get wet. Then I remove them and they'll drain. Yes, you can remove the Saran wrap on the sprouts.
Old March 4, 2018   #8
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the quick reply Nan Pa 6b
Old March 4, 2018   #9
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Okay got the tomato seedlings watered heres the pic I said I'd post up of the Black Sea Man seedlings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomato seedlings 001.jpg (714.6 KB, 56 views)
Old March 4, 2018   #10
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Go, tiny dudes!

Nan