Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 8, 2006   #1
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Good source for seed garlic?

As mentioned in my pesto post, I got a big kick out of growing my own garlic this year (much bigger than I get out of the other herbs, more a tomato-sized kick, maybe even bigger!):wink: I grew a softneck early Italian purple garlic. I really want to branch out and try a few different kinds next year. I don't have a lot of space, so I would like fairly small quantities of each kind, but preferably more than just one bulb. I'd also prefer a moderate price -- I found one place that had great sounding assortments of seed garlic till I realized it was one head each of 6 types, for $18-20. I'm too new to garlic and unsure that I'll grow them all properly to spend $3 per head quite yet!! Any suggestions where I should look? Thanks!
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2006   #2
Reign
Tomatovillian™

I've been looking at the SSE site and considering some of those. Some people plant grocery store garlic. Your local Farmer's Market might have a decent and not expensive selection. Up side of buying at the Farmer's Market is you can taste before planting.

Irish-Eyes seems to have an good assortment. But they also seem rather proud of it. I'm new to garlic too. Fall will be my first planting.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2006   #3
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

There's a number of good places that I know of that have seed garlic available in sampler packs as well as stand-alone..

www.thegarlicstore.com

www.garlicfarm.com

www.filareefarm.com/index.html

www.garlicfarm.ca

http://www.southernexposure.com/Merc...egory_Code=GAR

..hope this helps.

- Eric
sirtanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2006   #4
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Thank you! Great links!! I just ordered an 8-variety sampler from Filaree Farms. I'd looked at them before, but couldn't find their site again when I was looking yesterday, and of course had forgotten their name. I like that they'll help pick warm climate garlics for me, since I don't have a clue yet. I can't wait to start trying an assortment and see which work best for me!
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2006   #5
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much for these links also; Eric!
Old September 23, 2006   #6
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

I like www.fox-hollow-farm.com and Laughin Farms for garlic. Of course Laughin Farms is limited 2 varieties. But music is a fav for me... and they have a great price too
bizzarbazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2006   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Good lord yawll just reminded me, IT'S GARLIC PLANTIN TIME!!!!!

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2006   #8
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Yes it is,
Old September 23, 2006   #9
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure how to do this, so I'll do it this way.

Anyone who posted above this post is qualified but there can only be one recipient. You'll have to decide amongst yourselves [if any of you are interested] as to will get the box. The only catch is, you'll have to share contents of box if any of the above posters are willing to send you shipping costs.

I have a LOT of hardneck garlic bulbils, small cloves, and a number of elephant garlic seeds saved from my garden this year. It's no-name garlic, but it tastes great. No need to let it go to waste. I'll send a box of it on my nickle to whoever is willing to spread it around. Plus I'll add some seeds of the best new tomatoes I grew this year as a bonus for the spreader-arounder. :-)

You guys can PM each other and let me know who to send the box to. If this isn't very clear as to what I'm saying, then ask questions.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2006   #10
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Hi Earl, I PM'ed you. I would love to receive the box and ship to anyone willing to send postage costs. Please let me know

Heather
Old September 23, 2006   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I’m game and willing to send postage cost to whom ever it may concern.
((And a little extra for the trouble))
Send me a Pm and I will give whom ever it my concern my wife’s email she will send the money as I will be gone by then.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2006   #12
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

I already grow Russian Red; is there any difference in your hardneck garlic bulbs, Earl?

If anyone gets some of the elephant garlic seeds. Please pm me; I would like to try some of those too.
Old September 24, 2006   #13
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

supergirl,

without a doubt if you can find garlic in a health food store or farmer's market that will be the best price and perhaps selection. imho, the few seed companies that sell garlic charge an arm and a leg for garlic. i bought several pounds so paying anywhere from a bargin $10 up to the normal $15 to the silly $20 a pound was just too much. many are sold out to boot. i paid $4 a pound at the farmer's market. a local farmer has around 17-20 varieties. great choices and great price.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2006   #14
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

Earl is going to send the box to me, so for the posters on this forum, (above Earls post) let me know if you would like to be a part of his fabulous offer. That way when I receive the package, I can get everyones packages prepared too.

Take care

Heather
Old October 14, 2006   #15
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Everyone who responded has a package on its way to you. Except for the 1 person who I PM'ed...The box is ready but I am waiting on the address. I will PM everyone else with the shipping details of their package this evening.

Take care

Heather