Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old February 18, 2009   #16
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Wait a minute! Hold everything! What's "Maryland Red"?????
Old February 18, 2009   #17
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Did I get that name wrong? May have - gotta check. Peppers & eggplant have long been consigned to containers (55 gallon ugly blue plastic barrels split length-wise with hole drilled in the bottoms - hey, they were cheap - 5$ apiece in Raleigh) & now I'm trying to figure which of the maters can go into containers.... ah, too many maters... what a great problem!
Old February 18, 2009   #18
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Shame on me for not bookmarking (like I know I should) when off on tangential surfing episodes. I am now pretty sure that I've encountered that name before - grrr...
Old February 19, 2009   #19
gflynn
MAGTAG™

I have a couple of crosses I am trying this year. I don't know what will come of it but I am hoping for something good. I just wish I had more space
Old February 23, 2009   #20
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Ha! Took me days... but here is the place I heard/read about Maryland Large Red -
www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/118291/
Now I'm hoping some nice Mid-Atlantic folks can fill me in more about this one!
Old March 1, 2009   #21
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Stormy,

In the 2006, Seed Savers Yearbook this is refered to as a globe (perfectly spherical) that is aproaching 5 inches round. Also it is refered to as having above average yeild. Nothing is said of the flavor.

Greg
Old March 1, 2009   #22
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Greg! Looks like the list for the 2010 garden is now officially "under construction" LOL!
Old March 1, 2009   #23
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Well, I thought this was going to be my year of the black tomato, but it looks like it's going to be my year of the traditional Mid-Atlantic market variety, instead. I'm still planting some blacks - mainly for friends to grow, since I'm limited to just 12 tomato plants in my downsized veggie garden, and now DH has been leaning on me NOT to plant any in containers. We'll see about that - he's also been making noises about creating his own salsas this year, so I might be able to sneak in a few more, especially if the are plum are "drier" types.

I started Heirloomtomatoes.net's Chesapeake, Del Mar, and Scarab under lights this week, and I'm waiting for my Greater Baltimore and Sunray to arrive from Victory Seeds.

Still interested in the origin of the name "Scarab." I'm assuming that since the seed was found in manure pile, it was named for the dung beetle, which I believe is in the scarab family, although it's not as beautiful as some of its counterparts.
Old March 1, 2009   #24
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Forgot to mention - I hope these varieties don't taste TOO similar, since they (except Scarab) were all bred for the same purpose.
Old March 1, 2009   #25
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Cecilia - If you want some "Hopkins" to celebrate Edgar Allen's 200th b-day with I have some to share. Not technically from Baltimore, the yellow cherry is said to come from Poe's Mother's family property in SE PA. It fits your theme & will taste different (I'm pretty sure!)
Old March 1, 2009   #26
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Stormy - want any of my "Middies" (as I'm calling them) in tradefor the Poe seeds? DH will get a kick out of them, as he's a big EAP fan. Maybe he'll even let me put some in a container (gasp). Send me a private msg and let me know.
Old March 2, 2009   #27
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Cecelia - you have a PM, ladybug!

For your DH:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1231...ef=a1anews.com
which led to -
http://www.poebicentennial.com/blog.html

then to Mariseeds.com -
"Hopkins
This unique variety "haunts" from the gardens of the Edgar Allen Poe estate. Heavy producers of very sweet, translucent yellow, 2-4 oz. cherries. A favorite.
Indet. 75 days..."

Last edited by stormymater; March 2, 2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: more good info