Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 9, 2016   #16
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

so glad you got them going! I too, remember when you were trying to source them a few years ago
Old May 12, 2016   #17
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Oh yes, that was very frustrating, but I got them and have been growing them on so the seeds are pretty much what I want now.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016   #18
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Any update on the Gigandes? How many DTM roughly speaking? I have considered trying to grow them. I like plaki, too.

I've read that true Gigandes are white runner beans and not limas. Do you know? Limas do well here but I haven't had success with runner beans.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016   #19
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

MuddyToes when I grew them I didn't take notice of DTM but I started mine in pots, Apr 1st. by Aug 9th a lot were at the shelly stage. Yes, true Gigandes are white flowering runners not Limas.

Annette
aftermidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2016   #20
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Annette. I'm going to try starting a few scarlet runner beans in March. I started some in June last year and it was a disaster. If it works, I'll try Gigandes next year. It gets crazy hot here in June but we sometimes have snow flurries in May...not much of a spring.
Old December 12, 2016   #21
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
I just took it out of the washer is says

I prefer chocolate to sex, it's tastes sweeter , it doesn't disappoint you and it lasts longer
LOL! Epic
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2016   #22
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
Any update on the Gigandes? How many DTM roughly speaking? I have considered trying to grow them. I like plaki, too.

I've read that true Gigandes are white runner beans and not limas. Do you know? Limas do well here but I haven't had success with runner beans.
DTM for runner beans is highly variable. You could probably rate them as days to first bloom... but from there, it depends upon the temperature. In cool temps (mid-70's F. & below) pods might set as soon as flowers appear; but in warm/hot temps, the vines might bloom for months without setting pods.

My Gigandes did not seem to mind low 80's, it set a few pods then; but the majority set when a 2-day cool front briefly interrupted the heat. The pods take a long time to go from flower to dry seed, I think it was almost 2 months. Muddytoes, chances are that your runner beans will set in late Summer / early Fall, unless you get one of those cool snaps. You might also try putting a sprinkler on the vines for several hours, to cool the plants.

Limas & runner beans are almost opposites in terms of heat. I am fortunate to live in one of the "sweet spots" where I can usually get mature seed for both.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2016   #23
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeedman View Post
DTM for runner beans is highly variable. You could probably rate them as days to first bloom... but from there, it depends upon the temperature. In cool temps (mid-70's F. & below) pods might set as soon as flowers appear; but in warm/hot temps, the vines might bloom for months without setting pods.

My Gigandes did not seem to mind low 80's, it set a few pods then; but the majority set when a 2-day cool front briefly interrupted the heat. The pods take a long time to go from flower to dry seed, I think it was almost 2 months. Muddytoes, chances are that your runner beans will set in late Summer / early Fall, unless you get one of those cool snaps. You might also try putting a sprinkler on the vines for several hours, to cool the plants.

Limas & runner beans are almost opposites in terms of heat. I am fortunate to live in one of the "sweet spots" where I can usually get mature seed for both.
Good to know, Zeedman. I suspect I'm probably better off sticking to limas and ordering the Gigandes to make the plaki. I'm still going to try starting the Scarlet Emperor Runner beans in the early spring though. They are so pretty. I like to fit in as much edible landscaping as my neighbors will allow.

Yes, you are fortunate, indeed, to be able to grow both. I am a novice bean grower but I like experimenting. If I lose some plants to frost from planting too early, I'll just replant with something else.

Last edited by MuddyToes; December 12, 2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old September 4, 2017   #24
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Lololol! That's awesome!!! Made me laugh out loud😂 God truly has a sense of humor!
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2017   #25
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

I have a shirt that says," I love Jesus,but I cuss a little."
Just being honest. By the way, my brother is a preacher.
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote