Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 8, 2017   #121
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Very nice!
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #122
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The wind map is cool.

Cole, your forecast stinks. 70 today and then the 20s.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #123
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Accuweather is saying I will have five nights in a row in the 20's, except for one night in the teens, with a touch of snow and ice just for effect. That isn't tomato weather. I'm glad I didn't start too early, and only have about 15 flats of plants to manage.

Trees are blooming here. Daffodils are blooming. I've seen a few people mowing their yards. Everything that is blooming is going to freeze. It could be disastrous for some fruit crops.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #124
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

We are getting another wind storm, probably 60mph gusts. I've seen much worse, but I hate it, GH heaters can only get temps to mid 50's at night. Better weather on the horizon, I will believe it when I feel it.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #125
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

So much for an early spring up here...

Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #126
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Too bad for you, but for me, spring is here!.....today....not so much tomorrow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yoyo.jpg (53.9 KB, 66 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #127
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

When I talked of a 10 minute hail storm at 1am Tuesday morning, I was lucky... They confirmed yestererday an EF1 (105mph) tornado touched down 7 miles south of me and was on the ground for 13 miles. Quiet a bit of damage but only one person hurt (he was in a camper that was blown over). Sunny and 70 today, but that's all changing tonight... 20's and 30's for the next few days and up to 4" of snow Saturday. Yuck!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #128
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Nasty weather all over.
From March 11 to 15 we will have the temps going way down, to 24F. We will see a few days with highs in 40s. Now this is deep south we are talking.
I have 12 tomatoes already planted. I will have to cover them with anything I can get my hands on ; pine straw, blankets, plastic, buckets

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2017   #129
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Yuge low pressure system plunging south, we're just on the backside of it. 70F and sunny is the forecast. Not often you only see L's on the USA weather map.
Attached Images
File Type: png Mar10.png (482.5 KB, 56 views)
Old March 10, 2017   #130
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yes and it sucks in stuff like this.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...gxSp9QdRVVQh_Q
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2017   #131
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Photos from the hail storm earlier this week.

Approaching storm, hail begins, seedling damage.I've been bust replanting, but not selecting late season producers for try two. I saved at least a third of the tomatoes already potted up. I was almost through with the second potting up. I have splints on three seedlings from the damaged tray.

My one casualty was blueberry, a fun one. Only a single precious seed germinated. I could see its purple stem rising above all the other leafless seedlings
The brunt of the damage was cabbage and broccoli. Lots of broken stems and torn leaves.

- Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg storm approaches.jpg (172.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg hail begins.jpg (117.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg damaged seedlings.jpg (171.0 KB, 47 views)
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2017   #132
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Nasty weather all over.
From March 11 to 15 we will have the temps going way down, to 24F. We will see a few days with highs in 40s. Now this is deep south we are talking.
I have 12 tomatoes already planted. I will have to cover them with anything I can get my hands on ; pine straw, blankets, plastic, buckets
I told you to look for a large tulip poplar. I have a huge one that is yet to open a leaf bud but the small one next to my garden has already started to open leaf buds but that is because it has most of its roots running shallow in order to feed off the leaching of my garden. I noticed this a few years ago when we had a late spring arrival. My two older tulip poplars would not start budding so I waited even though the one next to the garden had started opening up a bit. This is the second time that a late cold snap has been signaled by the difference in the older tulip poplars that are not near the garden. So far my largest tulip poplar hasn't been wrong yet. The forecast for us is anywhere from 30 to 37 depending on the forecaster for next Wednesday night. Me, I'm hoping for closer to 37 or maybe even higher. I don't mind being a bit later setting out but I hate having to move everything inside; but at least I don't have to try and cover plants. It is easier to set them out a little late than try to deal with frost bitten plants which always take longer to recover than you would think.

I came very close to going ahead and setting out a dozen or so this week since I have a huge surplus but now it looks like all my seedlings that are outside hardening off will have to be taken in for a couple of nights. Oh well this should be good for extending my Brussels sprouts season and it may even extend my lettuce season a week or two. I haven't even started my seed for squash, melons and cucumbers yet because I have been so busy with grafting.

Good luck everyone.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2017   #133
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Moral of the story: Sometimes it's better to keep your tulips shut.
Old March 10, 2017   #134
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Moral of the story: Sometimes it's better to keep your tulips shut.
LOL
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2017   #135
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Being a little further South, your a little bit warmer than me. Gonna be a frosty, cold few days. Tuesday will be spent moving plants back under some shade cloth and hauling other stuff back in. Gonna be down in the 20's here Tues and Wed. and just a tad warmer thursday.

Besides getting my stuff all set for the frost, gotta go help my special teen new little gardener. His cukes, squash , zucchini and beans, so far are all doing good. If something has to croak, I rather see it something of mine than something of his.

I hope this new cold front coming doesn't hurt to many folks.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote