Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 28, 2020   #1
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Default My sub-irrigated raised bed

I'd been growing in DIY SWC since 2012, and got tired of fooling with all the various containers. So in 2017 I hit up DH to build a sub-irrigated raised bed container. This year I've only planted tomatoes and peppers (skipped the cukes). I had garlic in two City Pickers containers, and even though in early Spring things looked good, everything went south and I lost it all. I also have 5 DIY SWC's where I grow herbs. But this is the main attraction! This year, growing: Cherokee Purple, San Marzano, Red Cherry, and Sweetie (also a cherry). I typically grow TamiG grape, but couldn't find that this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200628_170414.jpg (231.2 KB, 246 views)
Old June 28, 2020   #2
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Awesome bed and I really like your horizontal trellising. I can't wait to make my wicking beds in the fall.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020   #3
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

That's a really nicely built container! Props to your hubs for building that for you.

I was also curious about how well the garlic did in the city pickers. I have a few of those lying around but hadn't consider them for garlic.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020   #4
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIBB View Post
Awesome bed and I really like your horizontal trellising. I can't wait to make my wicking beds in the fall.
Thank you! Best of luck with yours!
Old June 28, 2020   #5
GoGayleGo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
That's a really nicely built container! Props to your hubs for building that for you.

I was also curious about how well the garlic did in the city pickers. I have a few of those lying around but hadn't consider them for garlic.
I grew garlic successfully in the City Pickers containers in two prior years (though they didn't get very big, was trying fewer bulbs per container this time). This year "something" drastic happened, was fine in late April and then went way downhill. I'll try again this Fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200530_134252_051.jpg (227.3 KB, 235 views)
Old June 28, 2020   #6
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Oh no That sucks! Well, keeping my fingers crossed for you when you give it another go!!!
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2021   #7
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Just found this thread. Looks like something I could do with my raised beds. I am wondering what you used as a bed liner?
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2021   #8
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

These are the horizontal trellises I made 10 years ago. As they grow, I add another tier.

After having much disease attack my tomato plants cooped up in round cages, I decided they needed more space for air flow. I reasoned the since they are vines, they need to sprawl. So I came up with this solution. Now I can use a pump sprayer on top and under the leaves with ease. Also finding and picking them is much easier.

I didn't use treated lumber, so over the years they have rotted, and the wire mesh is quite rusty. So this year I intend to reinvent them using PVC pipes, and plastic snow fencing. The initial cost is a bit hefty, but I grow such huge plants that produce heavily, so I don't need more than 4. :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120811_132834.jpg (297.9 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 20120727_190738.jpg (352.8 KB, 184 views)
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2021   #9
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the inspiration, finished mine mid August, just in time for a fall planting of Bok Choy.
Just need to stain in the fall and add lighting

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
herbs , pepper , sip , swc , tomato