Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 18, 2013   #1
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Default compost bugs

I started composting in garbage cans with holes drilled for air. Lately, after rolling them , I have been noticing what appear to be squash bugs in the compost. I do have problems with them ever year, having to play hide and seek with my zucchini, etc.
Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? It is good looking compost with a lot of coffee grounds, egg shells, etc, but I hate to spread the bugs all over my garden.
wally mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #2
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Before you set the compost out allow it to dry and the bugs will normally leave. I noticed that with sow bugs at least, they really wont stick around if its not shaded and moist. But perhaps not, I have little exp with squash bugs.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mcgee View Post
I started composting in garbage cans with holes drilled for air. Lately, after rolling them , I have been noticing what appear to be squash bugs in the compost. I do have problems with them ever year, having to play hide and seek with my zucchini, etc.
Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? It is good looking compost with a lot of coffee grounds, egg shells, etc, but I hate to spread the bugs all over my garden.
You can try making the compost heat up with high nitrogen "hot" green material. Scott from Atlanta was talking about using kudzu. I have read about people using comfrey. I use grass clippings for the same purpose. If the compost gets hot enough it will kill any diseases bugs and/or weed seeds present. Not sure if the garbage cans are big enough to reach those temps though.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #4
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I used a plastic garbage can for compost last year and it got plenty hot when the green content was high. I would guess it was over 120 degrees. I had some worms in there before the compost cooked, but afterward they were not present.

I made the mistake of adding come cantaloupe rinds and seeds later and the compost didn't get hot enough to kill the seeds. I ended up having cantaloupe weeds everywhere I put the compost.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #5
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

I will try adding some greens and see if I can cook the little buggers out :cry

Thanks for everybody's input.

I will try and remember to post the results.
Old June 19, 2013   #6
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Default pea pods in the mix

I shelled a couple quarts of peas that I had growing up strings on the side walls of my hoop house so I added the pods to my compost cans along with some coffee grounds and bolted lettuce. Hopefully this will be enough to heat it up and kill the little bugs.

If nothing else it will make good compost better.