Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 19, 2014   #1
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Pepper Recipes

HELLISH RELISH

Recipe
Makes 16 servings
(Do you know 16 people who would eat this???)

1 pound
habanero peppers, seeded and minced (Or the pepper of your choice)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons finely grated raw horseradish
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup sugar

In a large bowl, stir together the peppers, lemon juice, lime juice, garlic, horseradish, sugar, dill weed and olive oil. Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

WARNING: EXTREMELY MEGA HOT!!! Not for the faint of heart. Lip and mouth numbing HOT!!! Make sure to use rubber gloves when handing and chopping the habanero chili peppers. This relish is very sweet but extremely hot. Remember too cool off mouth with eating bread or drinking milk. This will reduce the high acidic shock it puts upon your tastebuds."

Last edited by brokenbar; January 19, 2014 at 09:31 PM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2014   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Not your usual Chow Chow, But

Green Tomato and Pepper Relish

Here's one that is super simple and easy for even the most hesitant newby to canning. I make it, give some away, and everyone keeps asking for more. They use it instead of the cabbage based Chow Chow and eat it with their beans and such. The neat part is that you can easily vary the heat of the peppers by controlling which ones go in your mix. NOTE: I take all seeds out of all peppers and leave the tomato seeds in. One of the folks who love this has "Diverticulitous" (SP) and I take the tomato seeds out for her as well.

Take your end of the season green tomatoes and unripened peppers and dice them up to your liking. You can use any peppers you have or choose to use. It doesn't matter, except for the heat you prefer. I usually make sure there is a No Heat batch and a Variable Heat batch.

Now get one of those Mrs. Wages Pickling packages. They come in Dill, Kosher, and Bread and Butter flavors. I follow the recipe on the package except for adjusting the amount of sugar to my own taste (one to two cups less). I also prefer cider vinegar. Adding in a few ripe peppers gives color interest to the mixture. You can also add a little bit of carrots for color.

Try the Bread and Butter Flavor anyplace you would use sweet relish (such as on hot dogs).

Just follow the recipe on the package and you can't go wrong. Get everything into a large pot and heat it up. When you have things at a slow boil, begin filling sterilized jars. You can use a Boiling Water Bath or a pressure canner. The BWB instructions on the Mrs. Wages package works quite well, but I always use the pressure canner - 5 minutes at 5 PSI.

Last fall, a neighbor gave me four 5 gallon buckets of peppers (some ripe), and four 5 gallon buckets of green tomatoes at the end of the growing season. It made 5 dozen pints of relish and 5 gallon bags of frozen pepper strips for stir fry.

The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; January 19, 2014 at 07:22 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2014   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone grow their own horseradish??
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2014   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I saw the 1 pound of habanero peppers and quit reading.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2014   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Saute'd Spiced Up Peppers Stir Fry

Try this one with strips of wild game meat. The peppers can be your choice - spicy hot or not. I like different colors to liven up the presentation.

Put some Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a skillet over medium heat and then throw in some strips of peppers and onions. Add one tablespoon of diced garlic. Just as everything clarifies and softens, add in 3 tablespoons (more or less) of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. Cook for another 5 minutes and it's done. Spoon onto the meat and prepare for a real treat.

You gotta try this. It's the best way to serve venison that I've found.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2014   #6
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I saw the 1 pound of habanero peppers and quit reading.
I just like the name!!! There will be no "pound of habanero's" in mine I can tell ya!
Old January 19, 2014   #7
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Does anyone grow their own horseradish??
We always have...Fresh grated is "HOTTER THAN CRAP" and stinks up the kitchen as well as gives you draining sinuses for about 2 days. My Husband LOVES the stuff and puts it on everything. It grows exceptionally well and can really crowd out other plants so be careful where you plant it.
Old January 19, 2014   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
I just like the name!!! There will be no "pound of habanero's" in mine I can tell ya!
I actually know a guy from Connecticut that knew nothing of them.
He came to Texas and was going to make his FIRST salsa.
He told me that he thought the 4.99 a pound was pretty pricy but he went ahead and got them, a whole pound.
I asked, 'you didn't use the whole pound did you?
He said yes and well you know the rest of the story.

I grew 12 plants once and by the end of a hot dry summer they were like eating lit gun powder.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2014   #9
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I actually know a guy from Connecticut that knew nothing of them.
He came to Texas and was going to make his FIRST salsa.
He told me that he thought the 4.99 a pound was pretty pricy but he went ahead and got them, a whole pound.
I asked, 'you didn't use the whole pound did you?
He said yes and well you know the rest of the story.

I grew 12 plants once and by the end of a hot dry summer they were like eating lit gun powder.

Worth
We shall refrain from discussing the obvious gastrointestinal sound effects! And he probably left the seeds in too! My husband dried some last year and I'll be danged if I can figure out why anybody wants to eat them...they "Wax Poetic" about the "fruity undertones" and "tropical flavor"...when do you suppose their mouths are calloused enough to taste anything?
HOT...that's the primo taste beginning to end and "fruity" is long gone and burned to a frazzle!
Old January 19, 2014   #10
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We always have...Fresh grated is "HOTTER THAN CRAP" and stinks up the kitchen as well as gives you draining sinuses for about 2 days. My Husband LOVES the stuff and puts it on everything. It grows exceptionally well and can really crowd out other plants so be careful where you plant it.
WOW - so glad I asked. Is it a perennial? How does it work? When I googled it seems you buy them as root cuttings? I'm also curious about growing fresh wasabi as its so hard to come by!
Old January 19, 2014   #11
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
WOW - so glad I asked. Is it a perennial? How does it work? When I googled it seems you buy them as root cuttings? I'm also curious about growing fresh wasabi as its so hard to come by!
Yes it is a perennial. I have two plants started in a bed in between the garden and the lawn. It came from a wild plant I dug up. It will grow from any piece of root so I'll see how it does this year. In one Rodale's books books under hardiness it say "couldn't kill it with a blow torch.

I've never made horse radish but I know it's ground with vinegar which stops the process that makes it strong. I've also been told to do it outside.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2014   #12
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
As Doug says , perennial. It spreads by big gnarly roots, which is what you dig up and grind.
If ground is fertile and it gets plenty of water, it can easily double or triple the size of the clump in a year. And "Killing it with a blow torch" may not work either...It is a tenacious, drought tolerant Armageddon-surrviving clump of plant matter and will outlive us all!
Old January 20, 2014   #13
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if it would work in a container... I am limited in space and everything is done via containers...
Old January 20, 2014   #14
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Grandfather used to grow fresh horseradish and it's the BOMB compared to the jar stuff!!
He used to make the grand kids grate it for him, then he'd mix it with beet juice. We'd then put it on fresh fried fish sandwiches and kielbasa. YUM!!

Never grew it because I never knew how it grew but after reading the above posts, I doubt I will. Wish it was a tap root type.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2014   #15
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

HELLISH RELISH

Recipe
Makes 16 servings
(Do you know 16 people who would eat this???)

1 pound
habanero peppers, seeded and minced (Or the pepper of your choice)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons finely grated raw horseradish
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup sugar

In a large bowl, stir together the peppers, lemon juice, lime juice, garlic, horseradish, sugar, dill weed and olive oil. Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

WARNING: EXTREMELY MEGA HOT!!! Not for the faint of heart. Lip and mouth numbing HOT!!! Make sure to use rubber gloves when handing and chopping the habanero chili peppers. This relish is very sweet but extremely hot. Remember too cool off mouth with eating bread or drinking milk. This will reduce the high acidic shock it puts upon your tastebuds."
Do you know if you can actually taste horseradish in there???

The recipe sounds great, I'll try it in 2014.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote