Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 15, 2017   #1
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Default Best tasting determinate

Opinions on the determinate tomato with the best flavour.
And go:

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

"BEST" is difficult to qualify.
I may suggest SILETZ: It has a compact growth habit, about 4ft.
It is bred by OSU for PNW. It is pathenocarpic.
It is eary, has good fruit size bigger than all other early varieties that I have grown. I have picked ripe tomatoes from Siletz, in early July in north of Seattle, WA area.
The fruits taste good.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #3
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Karen, I have grown a bunch of them through the years. My favorites are Sasha's Altai, my customers love those too, and Mountain Fresh, which is semi determinate for me, they are very good tomatoes, market quality. Some of the Saraev collection are good too, o-33, and a bunch that I can't spell without finding the packages. LOL
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #4
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I like Sophie's Choice and Siberski Skorospelyi (?sp )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old March 15, 2017   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Some sites and people call this one a Determinate. Others call it a Semi Determinate. It grows/produces almost Indeterminate in our gardens - Bradley.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #6
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

EM Champion is the best tasting determinate I have grown, unfortunately it is also the least productive. I think most determinate tomatoes where developed for market growers among whom taste was not the primary consideration. The very best tasting tomatoes I have eaten all are indeterminates that require a long season to develop their great flavor. I get two growing seasons each year, both end abruptly at about 100 to 110 days due to freezing or extreme heat. An 85 day tomato that ripens a few fruit at a time yields me 15 to 25 days of production amounting to about a dozen tomatoes in a good year. Most determinates produce loads of tomatoes and are finished by 100 to 110 days but lack the great flavor of those late indeterminates. The best balance of flavor and productivity for me are semi determinate varieties such as Break O' Day. I keep looking for those great tasting determinate tomatoes but I believe they are yet to be developed and will require a lot of effort for what is probably a small market.
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Agree on all points. It's easy to see just from the lack of response here that there is a dearth of determinate tomatoes known for their good flavour. Agree that determinate breeding has generally focused on either earliness alone or commercial interests: mechanized harvest, disease resistance and concentrated fruit set which are all good qualities certainly but the breeders were not concerned with flavour.
I think it can be done though. Flavour needs to be the main focus of the breeding project which it generally isn't when commercial breeders are doing it. It is the primary focus of my own small projects.
KarenO
I should qualify that to say North American breeders because I agree there are some excellent flavoured Russian determinate heirlooms and even some commercial tomatoes. Chernomor (Black Sea man) is another good example.

Last edited by KarenO; March 15, 2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old March 15, 2017   #8
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

For breeding I would recommend very old variety Olomoucké nízké (Olmovic), at least to me it tasted a lot. It is from the time when there was mainly about taste.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
For breeding I would recommend very old variety Olomoucké nízké (Olmovic), at least to me it tasted a lot. It is from the time when there was mainly about taste.
Vladimír
Good to know, thank you Vladimir
KarenO
Old March 15, 2017   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Karen, if you think of Bradly as a Determinate - it is one of our favorites. It's just difficult for me to think of as a determinate grown here.

I do agree that more emphasis needs to be given for flavor.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #11
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, some that I have loved.. Pearly Pink Orange (early, prolific, and tasty!!), Kluykve ve Sakhare (red, cherry/grape size), Dar Zavolzhya Rozovyi (pink slicer)..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #12
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Isn't Rutgers a determinate? Never grown them, but they carry a good name.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #13
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Some say that Paul Robeson is a determinate. I think that it is a great tasting tomato.
Old March 15, 2017   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Maglia Rosa, Cole, and Sol Gold. They are compact determinates. I love the taste of Bradley as well. It's a much bigger plant, and possible semi-det. I have a det called Titan Red that is not too shabby as well.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #15
nwheritagegrdn
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for Cole! It's a very tasty determinate and very early as well! I'm just a bit south of you across the border, Karen, and it's always one of the first in my garden.